Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ZAXWERKS:Zaxwerks ForumZaxwerks TutorialsZaxwerks

How can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris HuggettHow can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?
by on Mar 18, 2002 at 9:14:13 pm

G'day all

Does anyone know how to create the effect seen in superman (3 i think) where the three baddies are trapped inside two circles that are rotating on each other. Can this be done with invigorator.

Any help or direction would be great.

Chris

Return to posts index

sergeRe: How can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?
by on Mar 19, 2002 at 3:14:27 am

Hi Chris,
I did not see the movie so I am just guessing hier as you say:
"two circles that are rotating on each other"
Have a look to the movie called "E", if this is what you mean or similar I would be glad to help you achieve that.
All the best.
Movie "E" @: http://nyc-visual.com
Serge

Return to posts index

Chris HuggettRe: How can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?
by on Mar 19, 2002 at 5:05:10 am

Salut Serge...

Thanks for trying to help.. Its not like your movie.

Imagine that a coin is spinning around on a table and as it slows down it starts to spin on its edges. Well imagine that its on a mirror so that its reflection is spinning aswell.

I want to try and position an object in the middle of my circle as if it can't get out of the "rings of prison".

Thanks Serge

Chris

PS. I am guessing Salut means Hello. I always thought that it meant "Cheers" as in something you say when you raise your glasses for a toast etc.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2002 at 5:44:06 am

Hi again,
I hope someone, maybe John... can help.
You deserve it as a very helpful Cow Member.
I now understand what you mean but I think that you may have
to use additional Plug-ins to reach such an effect.
I am really curious about this effect as it sounds really to look good
Could you please tell me witch movie it was exactly?

BTW "Salut" is indeed confusing we use it for "Hi" and "See you"
"Cheers" would be "A la votre".

Salut Chris

Return to posts index

Jon OkerstromRe: How can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?
by on Mar 19, 2002 at 6:13:40 am

Hi Chris,

I've seen the movie - a long time ago - the one with General Zod, right? I can't remember the exact motion of the "prison of rings" but don't see why it would be a problem.

Create a circle in Illustrator, stroke/no fill. Outline the stroke. Import as many of these as you want into Invigorator to make your rings. Assign each one to a different set, to allow animation of individual rings. Set your keyframes for rotation angle changes, add some reflective metal texturing, some glow, and you should be there.

I used something somewhat similar to create rings rotating around an "earth" a while back... no problem. The motion in your project is different, but much of the set-up work is the same.

Hope this helps.. I'll see if I can come up with the movie or an image on the web to help you with the motion, if you want.

If you get stuck, let us know... but stay away from that kryptonite, whatever you do.

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2002 at 6:58:31 am

Hi John,
This is exactly what I thought first, the reason why I showed the "E" movie as basic for the rings.
But I think Chris has something else in mind.
I also thaught about doing that with several "25% Half Spheres"
if you see what I mean.
What do you think?

Serge

Return to posts index

by on Mar 19, 2002 at 7:09:28 am

Oops! I meant 2 to 5%

Return to posts index

Zax DowRe: How can i recreate the circles of prison as seen in superman?
by on Mar 19, 2002 at 8:33:40 pm

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure if I remember this correctly, but you should be able to do this pretty easily.

1- Make 3 circles in Illustrator and place them all on top of each other.
2- Import into Invig.
3- Go into Set-up window. Select each circle (now disks) individually and rotate them onto their backs, then raise above one another vertically, then rotate them to some off angle so that the rims of each touch each other.

When you're done you will have 3 disks suspended above each other, but all centered around the Y axis.

4- Close the Set-Up window and animate the Y rotation for the Set all three disks are inside of. If you've moved the disks too much you may need to use the "Recenter Pivot" command, to set the Y axis at the direct center of the objects.

By rotating this one parameter it will make all 3 disks spin. The illusion is of three hoops magically spinning on their rims, when in actuality they are all spinning as a group.

To put different pictures inside of each ring, just set up 3 layer maps for 3 different materials, and apply each material to the face of each disk. Picking an inset type of edge profile will give you the hoop appearance, or you can create an actual ring in Illustrator and apply the Half Pipe bevel to get a real tube.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]