Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ZAXWERKS:Zaxwerks ForumZaxwerks TutorialsZaxwerks

AE5 Cache and Invigorator CRASHING!

COW Forums : Zaxwerks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rob WarrenAE5 Cache and Invigorator CRASHING!
by on Oct 7, 2001 at 7:25:00 pm

After a week of removing/re-installing and lot's of small test projects I have located the source of AE5 crashing with a 0 :: 42 error or a simple lock-up on WIN2K.

I have the latest version of the invigorator and it seems when AE5 cleans up it's cache while editing and previewing invigorator kills everything. At first I thought it was Boris AE but now I can duplicate the problem with a single layer project with a simple outline invigorator effect applied. Sometimes simple scrubbing along the timeline will crash the system.

Tried this on three (3) different systems and have 1 GB of RAM in each machine. Running Windows 2000 SP2 with dual processors on all of the systems. Running AE5 PB. Clean installs.....

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate them because I was using the Invigorator for a project that really needed nice 3D titles. For the time being I'm back to animating them in C4D.

Not where I want to be.

Return to posts index

Erwin SantacruzRe: AE5 Cache and Invigorator CRASHING!
by on Oct 7, 2001 at 10:22:57 pm

Hmm, I have ran Invigorator on a similar setup but haven't had any problems. One thing I did do was change the Image Cache Preferences.
I was experiencing similar error codes(not using Invigorator)and someone suggested I change the default values as such

Image cache: 40 / 80 (instead of default 60 / 120)

That eliminated the error codes. Not sure if it might help in your situation. Otherwise, contact Zaxwerks, they will be more than happy to help you out and maybe offer a better solution.

Erwin Santacruz

Return to posts index

Rob WarrenRe: AE5 Cache and Invigorator CRASHING!
by on Oct 7, 2001 at 11:18:50 pm

I thought it might be a threading issue where adobe destroyed an object and the plug-ins wasn't done with it. But even on a single processor the program dies. I'll try those settings. If that works it'll be even more scary with regard to how Adobe deals with memory.

I'm going to take a look at AfterFX and the Invig plugin tonight with a soft-ice emulator and look for any obvious memory issues that might be easy to spot.

Who knows. I'm sure it'll get fixed.

Return to posts index

Rob WarrenRe: Try this test
by on Oct 9, 2001 at 6:18:36 pm

Simple Test for anyone running the PC version (2.5.2)

New Comp (720 x 480)
Add Layer
Add Invig Effect
Scrub along the timeline (Create some green cache bars)

Select EDIT | PURGE | ALL

Post if anything strange happens and what kind of system you have.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick GerardRe: Try this test
by on Oct 10, 2001 at 3:56:14 am

Crash every time... Interesting.

Did you submit a bug report to Zax?

Return to posts index

Rob WarrenRe: Try this test
by on Oct 10, 2001 at 4:39:52 pm

Zax is hard at work on the problem. One of the things I really like about Zaxwerks is that they listen to their customers and move fast to fix little things that pop up.

I'm sure we'll see something real soon.

I just posted the small test as I can reproduce it on three systems but all of them have NVidia GeForce cards and WIN2K. I was just trying to see if it was repeatable on a different system.

Return to posts index

Zax DowRe: Try this test
by on Oct 16, 2001 at 9:30:15 pm

For some reason the Purge All crash only happens on Windows machines. We can repeat it at the office on Windows, but it's working OK on the Macs. This is evidently due to some internal differences between AE on Mac and PC.

We have added a chunk of code to work around this purge problem, but it probably won't be seen in a release until we release version 3.0. We're very close to releasing 3.0 so you won't have long to wait.

In the meantime, the reason you are getting this crash right now is because AE does a "self purge" whenever memory starts to get very fragmented. (Rob, this is what you guessed was happening.) The way to clean up memory without using this Purge All command is to save the project and reopen it. It's not very elegant, but at least it'll work until 3.0 comes out.

Best,
Zax

Return to posts index

Rob WarrenRe: Thanks!
by on Oct 18, 2001 at 7:15:00 pm

Thanks! That's what I found by trial and error. Save and Exit every 30 minutes and no problems. That, and the frequent saves.

Thanks for confirming the problem (and fixing it!)

Moo...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]