Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

OMF Export for Protools Mix

COW Forums : Media 100 | Media 100 HD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
myopixOMF Export for Protools Mix
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 3:21:33 am

Hi,

Back in September, I posted a question about exporting the audio tracks as OMF files. (I've been editing a feature music documentary on a Media 100i version 7.5.1, Mac OS 9.2.) I got some great information from Floh and Tom. At this point, I am planning to locate a Media 100 system with OSX that I will use to open the program and export the audio as OMF files. I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this and if there are any problems that I should be prepared for.

Tom mentioned that “there is no option to export the audio clips with handles...the M100 OMF option includes ALL adjacent media as "handles" within the encapsulated media files...so depending on the length of your sequence and how your clips were logged/captured, it could be VERY easy to exceed the 2GB limit inherent to .omf files. You can, of course, break up your timeline and export it up in ‘chunks.’” I definitely need to export the clips with handles, and am concerned about exporting in chunks (I'm concerned that this might not work for the Protools editor).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Return to posts index

FlohRe: OMF Export for Protools Mix
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 7:40:16 am

It is definitely working with the latest ProTools versions. We have done that several times, exporting a timeline in segments and rejoining them in ProTools. But we have a very experienced ProTools operator in the audio studio, and I don´t know how much hidden "magic" he has to do to get this together.
Best thing you can do is to create a small timeline but with many tracks (maybe using only one audio media file placed various times on these tracks) and do a test-run. If the original audio clip is short enough you maybe can FTP or mail it and the timeline to the studio doing the conversion to you, so it would not take too much time for you and them. Then give that to your audio studio and see if they can do something with that. And have a look if all needed informations are carried over.

If you want I can do the test for you. Just mail me a sit file with a timeline and the associated audio clip and you will get back an OMF. This would at least test if your sound studio can use Media 100 i OMFs.

Return to posts index

myopixRe: OMF Export for Protools Mix
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 2:48:36 pm

Hi Floh,

Thanks so much for your detailed advice. And thank you for your generous offer to run a test. I may take you up on that.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

TomRe: OMF Export for Protools Mix
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 6:43:27 pm

Same here as far as experienced Protools editor, but we did our export in 2 chunks - 1st half-hour, 2nd half-hour. Since OMF keeps TC info, this is a no-brainer in Protools...each chunk should import to the correct TC IN in the timeline.

FYI, p/t editor LOVED the "limitless" handles!!! Besides the handles/file size issues, everything worked flawlessly with regard to OMF audio export...video, though, another story (and a long one at that, finally got some issues resolved by going directly through a very kind engineer @ Diaquest, who make the OMF Export option for M100, as M100 was ABSOLUTELY no help with video OMF export issues.)

I'm near Philly...let me know if you need a hand getting that stuff into M100 8.x and exported as an audio OMF.

Tom D.

Return to posts index

myopixRe: OMF Export for Protools Mix
by on Dec 15, 2004 at 1:29:34 am

Thanks so much for the additional information. I really appreciate your advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]