Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

DCR-VX2100

COW Forums : Sony DV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Don GreeningDCR-VX2100
by on Jan 29, 2005 at 6:50:08 am

Two questions:

1. Does the VX2100 have a zebra bar function? And if so can it be set to a percentage?
2. Does the VX2100 have a 30p shooting mode in addition to 60i?

If the VX2100 is missing either of the above features will the PD170 have them?

OK that's 4 questions.

- Don

Return to posts index

Blast1Re: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 29, 2005 at 10:22:14 am

The Zebra function is 70% or 100% on the VX/PD.

The VX/PD is 60i, it has a 15p for still image sequence

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 29, 2005 at 8:45:15 pm

Thanks for the info. This will help with my decision making as far as a third camera is concerned. I was hoping that the VX/PD line had a 30P feature to go along with Sony's exellent low light capabilities. I'm thinking now I might have to go with the Panny DVX100A. The Panny's low light minimum is 3 lux compared to the Sonys @ 1 lux.

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 30, 2005 at 5:58:43 pm

Make sure you get what you need. My experience is that when shooting low light wedding receptions and you've gained up to +12db (or more) than the Sony will be much less nosier.

I believe that the DVX-100a needs even more light in progressive mode (30p/24p) than in interlace (60i), which may mean an even nosier (or darker) image in low light. Of course you could buy a good on camera light but some potential wedding clients specifically ask for low/no lighting so as not to disturb the guests. You just have to make sure you get the right camera for your (potential) client base.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2005 at 7:33:30 pm

Craig,

In your opinion is there all that much of a difference between 3 lux and 1 lux? BTW, you're absolutely right about getting the right camera for my customer base. That's why I need one with great low light capabilities, in addition to 16:9 & 30p shooting mode. Apparently the Sony VX/PD line doesn't offer 16:9, hence the decision on the Panny.

I already have a Frezzi dimmer mini-fill but, as you point out, I only use it sparingly when needed and only then when it's been discussed with the client beforehand and is then expected.

- Don

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzoRe: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 30, 2005 at 9:28:01 pm

[Don Greening] "Apparently the Sony VX/PD line doesn't offer 16:9, hence the decision on the Panny."

Don: Just to clarify, the Sony VX2000/2100 & PD-150/170 camcorders can record 16:9 the same as the Panasonic DVX-100/a camcorder: Either electronically via a menu selection, or using an optional, external 16:9 anamorphic lens adapter. All of these cams have native 4:3 CCDs.

My apologies if I mis-read your post; I hope this info is helpful.

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2005 at 4:00:09 am

Thanks Peter. Quite helpful indeed. I'd rather go with one of the Sonys anyway, because of their great low light features. I'm leaning toward the VX2100, but I'd probably step up to the PD170 if I knew for sure if it was even better at low light aquisition than the VX2100. I'll be finding that out this week when I check them out at the camera store.

Thanks again.

- Don

Return to posts index

Blast1Re: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 31, 2005 at 1:53:44 pm

The VX2100 and PD170 use the same CCD chipset and lens barrel, so any light difference will be a individual camera thing vice a model thing, the major differences in the models are other than the light capabilities The PD Manual gain is a separate control, on the VX its tied to the IRIS, once the Iris is full open the manual gain comes into play on the VX, then the Mic inputs and DV cam mode.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: DCR-VX2100
by on Jan 31, 2005 at 3:12:44 pm

There is a huge difference between 3 lux and 1 lux.

But don't buy the Sony based solely on its low light ability. Both the Sony VX-2100/PD-170 and the Panasonic DVX-100A are excellent camcorders, and each offers some features the other lacks.

If you are planning on shooting indie films, or material that will be viewed in progressive mode, the DVX may be the way to go. It also has some color adjustment features that its fans are very fond of.

If you're primarily interested in weddings and events, with their run-and-gun style shooting, or your clients are going to view your output on an interlaced TV, then the Sonys could be your best choice.

Above all, buy the camera that feels best in your hands, and whose controls are easiest for you to understand.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2005 at 3:12:58 pm

There is a huge difference between 3 lux and 1 lux.

But don't buy the Sony based solely on its low light ability. Both the Sony VX-2100/PD-170 and the Panasonic DVX-100A are excellent camcorders, and each offers some features the other lacks.

If you are planning on shooting indie films, or material that will be viewed in progressive mode, the DVX may be the way to go. It also has some color adjustment features that its fans are very fond of.

If you're primarily interested in weddings and events, with their run-and-gun style shooting, or your clients are going to view your output on an interlaced TV, then the Sonys could be your best choice.

Above all, buy the camera that feels best in your hands, and whose controls are easiest for you to understand.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2005 at 7:33:06 pm

Thanks to Doug and Blast for their valuable info regarding the VX/PD camcorders. Since my first priority is a "low light" 3rd camera for wedding receptions I'll most likely give one of the Sonys the nod. If Doug Graham says there's a big difference between 1 lux and 3 lux, then he's already made my decision for me. I can always buy the anamorphic adapter for the Sony if I'm not happy enough with the electronic 16:9 capability. Thanks again, guys.

- Don

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2005 at 8:11:22 pm

Golly, I hate the responsibility of making other people's $3,000 decisions. :(

Please -- check out the camera(s) for yourself. Don't buy one just on the basis of my (or anyone else's) recommendation. I'll sleep sounder. :)

Fortunately, most reputable dealers have a workable return policy, so if you can't get your hands on the cams in a local store, you can at least try it for a day or so before you have to decide to keep it or not. Just save ALL the packing and paperwork.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2005 at 9:28:08 pm

LOL@ Doug.

Not to worry. I'll be making my camera buying decision a detailed research project before I commit to anything. The store I usually deal with is very knowledgable about such things. I just wanted to get some real world answers from you guys because one can only make decisions based on available information.

I just wish that your quote of a 3 grand Sony was correct. It'll cost considerably more up here in the great white north. My only ace in the hole will be that I'm buying an XL2 and getting rid of my XL1S at the same time, so perhaps I'll be able to get a better price by buying in bulk :)

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]