Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k

COW Forums : Sony DV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
woodenpidgeonAnother reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 12, 2003 at 2:12:21 am

I had a wonderful little problem this week where my DSR-1500 malfunctioned and burned up the 1394 ports in two computers- two external DVD drives and my VX-2000.

[don't ask, It was just MAD MOJO]

Anyway-- I call Sony for service-- guessing that my VX2k is covered under a consumer camera flat fee. Well it isn't. But if you have a PD-150 you get service from the professional line which is MUCH faster.

the sony rep. told me that the VX line is considered 'professional' and so no flat-fee consumer repair is availible. Unfortunately they don't find it professional enough to give me good service.

End of story:
Rather than send my por camera to the deathstar-- I went with a local 3rd party.

And added another bullet point to my list of why buying a VX over the PD150 was a mistake.

Return to posts index

Bill PowersRe: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 12, 2003 at 3:54:31 pm

Hi,

I can't say I disagree with your basic thoughts.

I will disagree with the Sony Rep who said the VX2000 was considered a professional product. The VX series is not and never has been sold through the Sony Business and Professional Products Group. It's a consumer product only. As to a flat rate repair.. I have no idea.

You mighr try again.

Bill

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 13, 2003 at 3:49:02 pm

Unfortunately Bill, while Sony views the VX-2000 as a "pro-sumer" camera, it sells it to the professional user under the consumer label so that they can get certain import/export rates. Professional series equipment is subject to higher import taxes and is one of the reasons that it is sold at a higher rate.
No matter how many times you try, the result will be the same with the Sony service center. It's done, literally BY THE BOOK...and there is no room for variation in any given case. I personally feel completely comfortable taking my rig to the local electronics guru to have it repaired. I just specify that I want all original parts...no exceptions.

Michael

Return to posts index

Bill PowersRe: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 13, 2003 at 8:57:19 pm

Hi Michael,

I understand. Selling consumer goods to professional users can have it's advantages and it's disadvantages. This is usually a price vs. support issue. We've been dealing with Sony and other service departments for over 30 years. We like to fix things ourselves when possible. It gives us a little more control over the process. One other thought... Don't just ask for all original replacement parts, get the dead old parts back as well. It keeps folks honest. An good service department won't mind one bit.

Take care,

Bill

Return to posts index

blast1Re: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 14, 2003 at 9:46:27 am

Its not that they consider it a pro model, its value is such that you have to submit it for a estimate, their consumer flat rates are scaled to the value of the camcorder, but even with the flat rate if the damage is such that it is excessive they will give a further estimate and apply a service charge for it, the service charge can be applyed to the repair if you go forward, you also have to submit a description of the damages to see if you qualify for the flat rate, its not a cut and dry thing.

Return to posts index

Felipe MarrouRe: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 17, 2003 at 3:56:57 am

i have been shooting with the vx2000 for years for major networks, discovery, mtv,etc. it works great. we have a travel show shot entirely with that camera. doesn't look as professional as the 150 which i like so it is easier to sneak to places, the vatican, anne's franks house, machu picchu,pompei, etc. the more consumer look the better. just keep it quiet please.

Return to posts index

blast1Re: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 17, 2003 at 10:26:15 am

>the more consumer look the better. just keep it quiet please.
I use a TRV900 for that without the lens hood, nobody pays attention to it.

Return to posts index

Felipe MarrouRe: Another reason to buy a PD150 over a vx-2k
by on Nov 18, 2003 at 2:07:35 am

it's a great camera, now i use the vx2000, i like it too. shoot underwater with a amphibico with the 2000, works great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]