Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!

COW Forums : Sony DV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Carl SollenbergerWhere do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 7, 2003 at 12:27:30 am

I live in Alaska, so I mail order most of my gear. I'm trying to work with B&H but I'm having real trouble trying to get the service that I need, and I'm looking for other options.
Any recomendations???

Return to posts index

Martin RowellRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 7, 2003 at 1:48:50 pm

What kind of gear are you trying to buy?

And what's the problem with B&H?

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Martin Rowell

Return to posts index

Carl SollenbergerRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 8, 2003 at 2:45:36 am

I'm looking for a JVGYDV5000UL-A
They don't have or even know about the (A)version of this camera. I need this camera because it works with a new Firestore product designed specifically for this camera.

I've talked to three different reps at B&H and none of them new about this - which is understandable because it is very new - but none of them offered to look in to it either. They didn't bother to look in to it even after I gave them JVCs own product numbers that I got straight from a JVC tech.
So.... that's what I mean when I say that I'm having trouble.

And as far as B&H techs not liking to get to long winded goes as you put it blast1 - that's just a fancy way of saying that they are abrupt and rude. When I'm about to spend $10,000.00 or more - I don't want to be rushed. I want every single question answered, and I want to make sure that I'm getting what I ordered.

I'd love nothing more than to get this gear from B&H, because it would save me $500.00 and I could also get the extra warranty as well - but I can't force them to come up with the exact gear that I require, and they're not offering to go the extra mile for my sale.

Return to posts index

blast1Re: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 8, 2003 at 1:21:45 pm

The problem maybe the L-A designation, I haven't run across that one, where did you heard that, usually the basic cam is the DV5000U, anything after the U designates the accessories or lenses like DV5000UL16 for the Canon 16x7 lens, the DV-DR5000 firestore should plug in to the basic DV5000U between the body and battery.

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 13, 2003 at 4:06:35 pm

Blast1, that's correct. The suffix, in this particular case isn't a manufactured model...it's an accessory package sold ONLY trhough the manufacturer...which is not to say that B&H wouldn't be getting that designation soon, but as of now it isn't even in the manufacturer's coded products catalog. The L-A suffix is, in fact just the type of additional hardware mount that fastens to the rear of the DV-5000U. In fact, that piece can only be purchased separately as of today according to JVC product managers.

Michael

Return to posts index

by on Nov 14, 2003 at 12:43:15 pm

Thanx for the info Mike, the L-A designation was sort of confusing as they usually use the L for a included lens package.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 7, 2003 at 5:45:46 pm

I been using B&H for years and have no problems, what are you trying to get and what problems are you having? One thing is they don't like to futz around on the phone, they will give out info to a point but don't like to get too long winded.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2003 at 2:47:43 am

I'm looking for a JVGYDV5000UL-A
They don't have or even know about the (A)version of this camera. I need this camera because it works with a new Firestore product designed specifically for this camera.

I've talked to three different reps at B&H and none of them new about this - which is understandable because it is very new - but none of them offered to look in to it either. They didn't bother to look in to it even after I gave them JVCs own product numbers that I got straight from a JVC tech.
So.... that's what I mean when I say that I'm having trouble.

And as far as B&H techs not liking to get to long winded goes as you put it blast1 - that's just a fancy way of saying that they are abrupt and rude. When I'm about to spend $10,000.00 or more - I don't want to be rushed. I want every single question answered, and I want to make sure that I'm getting what I ordered.

I'd love nothing more than to get this gear from B&H, because it would save me $500.00 and I could also get the extra warranty as well - but I can't force them to come up with the exact gear that I require, and they're not offering to go the extra mile for my sale.

Return to posts index

shooterRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 8, 2003 at 4:54:41 pm

when you deal with a box store you get a box and that's it. If you need service around the sale, you'll pay for it. That's why you're getting a $500 savings. Sometimes the cheapest option isn't the best.
I've had clients call and pick my brains in depth on how to do a certain shoot. Then they go to a cheaper competitor with the info in hand and get it for 5% less...
I'm sure the JVC rep you talked to can recommend a quality dealer that can help you.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 8, 2003 at 8:11:15 pm

Like I said, I'm in Alaska. I'm kind of stuck with the dealer in a box because there is no dealer in my state.

Return to posts index

shooterRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 9, 2003 at 8:35:51 am

You could still talk to the JVC rep and he'll find the closest one or perhaps the 'best' one. Perhaps Washington or Oregon or California.
I had a situation where I needed a piece of equipment fast. I called the manufacturer. I'm on the east coast but they gave me the name of a west coast dealer because they new they had stock and could ship the next day.

Return to posts index

wayne OrrRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 9, 2003 at 9:26:47 pm

Carl, you might contact Armatos, also in NY. Although I have not done business with them, they have received some very good comments from others. Of particular interest, is their "loaner" program, which might be of interest to someone out in the "boonies." Their prices are competitive.
http://armatos.com/

Wayne

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2003 at 2:17:41 am

Thanks everyone for all of your time and the great info. That's what I love about the Cow - lots of friendly support.
Thanks again,
Carl

Return to posts index

steve kownackiRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 11, 2003 at 2:07:45 am

I'm surprised that sales reps don't monitor these sites! What a goldmine they are missing! I totally agree with shooter, you don't get service at a box house. It may be totally worth your while to pay the extra $500... if the camera goes down, there's a better chance of getting a loaner or other benefit. Discuss this type of stuff up front with your vendor.

Try http://www.pigsfly.com and join the NLEsales list. There's a few sellers that monitor that list.

HTH,
Steve

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2003 at 5:43:39 pm

Finaly -
Steve Subit at B&H and Ken Freed of JVC seem to have me all squared away on this deal.
I would would recomend dealing with these two guys if you ever deal with their companies.
They both have done a great job taking care of me on what could have been a lost cause.

Carl

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 13, 2003 at 4:12:38 pm

Man you'd be surprised to find that they do read this, and many other forums for input. The vast majority of forums, especially those with direct ties to a product line like ours here are reviewed frequently for ideas and to get an earfull from angry consumers. In many cases, it's the only link that the manufacturer has to the client base.

Michael

Return to posts index

Felipe MarrouRe: Where do you buy your gear?? I'm having trouble!!
by on Nov 17, 2003 at 4:06:16 am

Me too, I have been buying for years from B & H , but lately their service has been terrible. I bought a whole editing system from them $18,000.00 1.5 year ago because i trusted them. They sold me a defected scsi drive. I am still fighting to get it today. I got a call last week saying that they were sending me one this coming week (if you guys are reading this make sure i get it!).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]