Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Sony DCR-VX2000

COW Forums : Sony DV

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
joedonhSony DCR-VX2000
by on Mar 19, 2002 at 11:56:05 pm

I am looking for a Sony 3CCD camera and was considering a Sony DCR-VX2000. I'd like to stick with Sony(miniDV format) and 3CCD is a must. This camera seems to have everything I want and need, and the price(3k) is about as high as I can go. Are there other models I should be looking at, or is this one the tops in that price range. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

R DuxRe: Sony DCR-VX2000
by on Mar 20, 2002 at 1:17:01 am

I bought my VX2000 in October 01' after months of HARD research. I wanted a very solid cam that was the perfect mix of performance and price. The VX2000 pumps out an insane amount of bang for your buck.

I got mine from B&H for $2400. If I had the extra money to burn, I would have gotten a PD150, but I couldn't spend that much. I highly reccomend this cam. I checked reviews on countless sites, and the VX always ranked very high. To get best audio results you will need to buy a Beachtek XLR adapter ($160).

The only negatives I have ever heard about this cam is that the case is not magnesium like the VX1000, the audio chip may have some small problems (causing low hissing?), and some say the silver makes it look cheesy. I have not experienced any problems with mine thus far, and don't mind the other aesthetic issues (if they are issues anyway).

It is a powerful camera that is perfect for someone without a huge budget. You may want to examine the smaller 3 chip miniDV cams Sony makes. They are around $2,000, and may be all you need. I still say the VX2000 is your best bet though. Insane quality, manual controls, good size. Have fun shooting and good luck=)

I suggest you buy from B&H if you buy online. Not the cheapest listed, but you can sleep easy knowing you will get what you paid for.

Return to posts index

joedonhthanks for the advice...
by on Mar 20, 2002 at 11:10:10 pm

I thought this would be a good cam for my money. Any good sites to look for this Beechtek XLR adapter? And since this camera's mike is built into the camera casing, is there any special way the adapter or mike need to be mounted to the cam? By the way, I'd rather have a cheesy silver camera than a boring black one(not that it ever remotely matters).

Return to posts index

R DuxRe: thanks for the advice...
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 12:05:51 am

http://www.bhphoto.com
This is a fantastic place to order pro video stuff from. They are not the cheapest around (they still have low prices though), but you can sleep easy knowing you will get the brand new stuff you ordered. Many online vendors are scam artists and will try send you used or wrong gear for a restock fee profit. B&H is top notch and very honest.

Here's the direct uri

http://www03.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___136397___BEDXA4___REG___CatID=2152___SID=ECEDCC80F20

If you plan to use condenser mics you may need to get the phantom power version of the Beachtek adapter. It is around $259 I think and can be found in the same section of the site as the normal XLR adapter.

As for mounting the mics, I believe it all depends on what type of mic you will be using. I will let someone more experienced with a variety of mics handle that one...

Good luck,

R

Return to posts index

RextilleonRe: thanks for the advice...
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 1:21:00 pm

Look at the studio one as an alternative to the Beechtek--those in the no---(sound people)claim it is better---

Return to posts index

Jeff NealRe: thanks for the advice...
by on Mar 25, 2002 at 3:44:49 am

I purchased my vx2k from B&H and the one I recieved brand new in a factory box had a bad microphone. I called Sony support and got nowhere with them.
I phoned B&H and they gave me a return authorization number and I sent it back. Recieved a replacement 4 or 5 days later. Top notch service!!
I use the Studio One and really like it. They claim their unit is sheilded better than most to allieviate hum.

Return to posts index

Hector MelendezRe: Sony DCR-VX2000
by on Mar 23, 2002 at 11:59:24 pm

Aparently JVC will release the GY-DV300U. AS I understood
is a mix of features between the GL1/Vx2000/PD150
Sound likes will be a hit...if the performance reach or
compare with the Sony's,
Check here:
http://www.supervideo.com/streamcorder.htm

Hector

Return to posts index

RextilleonRe: Sony DCR-VX2000
by on Mar 20, 2002 at 1:19:42 am

In that price range, the VX-2000 is a fine instrument. However, the onboard mic is very limited and you would be wise to buy a Studio One or Beachtek XLR adapter so you can add higher quality mics. You might also take a look at the GL-1 by Canon---cheaper then the VX-2000 it too is a fine instrument that needs the XLR adapter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]