Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Commotion/AE/FCP (long)

COW Forums : Commotion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Don ScibaCommotion/AE/FCP (long)
by on Apr 12, 2001 at 7:34:38 pm

Hey, great to find you guys--I'm a long time reader of both wwug and 2-pop so i'm following the winners to greener pastures. My question is about deciding on Commotion or AE. I currently use FCP for my small market industrials and spots. I've used AE 3 extensively but at my other place of employment. I started to add AE to my toolbox but became intrigued with Commotion due to it's motion tracking and painting abilites. (I've downloaded 3.1 and done all the tutorials I can find.) I'm finding I'm perfectly happy with FCP to do the simple scan and pan and type/titles 2D animation that I once did with AE3. What I can't do is motion track mattes and layers and I can't "retouch" bad footage without doing it frame by frame. Since I'm not in the motion graphics business, what will I NOT have with FCP and Commotion that I will have with FCP and AE? I know all about AE5 3d space, parent/relationships and motion math, but those seem to be way down on my list of daily needs. I really like the built in preview to NTSC in both FCP and Commotion and to get that with AE costs another $250. I also know I don't get audio sync with Commotion and I can't nest compostions, but I can do that in FCP. And I have to get at least AE pro to get motion tracking-- which everyone says is better in Commotion. And even with AE Pro I stll can't paint or retouch a frame or a matte. Or can I? Any thoughts or comments?

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: Commotion/AE/FCP (long)
by on Apr 13, 2001 at 12:56:37 am

Commotion excels at paint/cloning, matte creation, and motion tracking. You can composite an effect shot within it's compositing enviornment, but I prefer to leave the complex compositing to After Effects. I find Commotion's compositing really usefull for previewing comps as I am cutting mattes, and you can combine the powerful matte painting and rotosplining with filters like Primatte to pull very complex mattes. After Effects is a far superior tool for creation motion graphics. For your needs, Commotion is definitely the ticket. Down the road if you want to expand your motion graphics capabilities you can always get the base version of After Effects...

Return to posts index

Don ScibaRe: Commotion/AE/FCP (long)
by on Apr 13, 2001 at 5:56:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. My thinking is Commotion seems to be what I need now. Next month a project may come in that's so heavy with effects that AE is required. My only hesitation is investing in the time and effort to be productive in new software. I'd prefer to learn one or the other not both. Especially with FCP still being far from second nature. One last question, can you pull mattes out of Commotion and use them in FCP or do you have to composite in Commotion first? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: Commotion/AE/FCP (long)
by on Apr 17, 2001 at 12:34:49 am

Commotion's mattes can be rendered into a qt movie and brought into any other app like AE of FCP for use as a track matte. As far as needing to jump into AE... wait for NAB, then you will have a better idea of what's in store for Commotion's future...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]