Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

It would be nice to know!

COW Forums : Commotion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Glenn MiersIt would be nice to know!
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 2:28:31 am

I've seen it mentioned quite a bit here, but no-one has officially responded.

IS THERE GOING TO BE A COMMOTION PRO 5?

IF SO, WHEN?

I understand commercial sensitivity dictates telling the users what new features might be coming etc, but at least an official word from Pinnacle that the product IS being further developed would be nice.

Perhaps others could add to this thread, so maybe someone might give us the official lowdown?

Cheers,

Glenn Miers
Fifth Room Films
Wellington
New Zealand

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: It would be nice to know!
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 6:57:27 pm

Not sure... they're still there in the old Puffin building in Sausalito coding away, so hopefully something will surface soon.

Return to posts index

Rafael GuerreroIt might just be a pigment of our imagination...
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 6:58:43 pm

I would also want further development on Commotion Pro as well. I'm not ready to drop the product yet because I'm waiting for the upgrade. I've been holding up on buying AE5.5. But If AE6 comes out with no Commotion Pro 5 on the horizon, I might totally drop this product and replace it with Combustion 2.1.

Looks like AE5.5 and Combustion 2.1 would be good products that can complement each other.

It's been a while that we haven't heard of any developments done on Commotion 5, is it really a dream?

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrickRe: It might just be a pigment of our imagination...
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 8:53:57 pm

I'm lucky enough to have the lattest versions of Commotion, AE, and Combustion at my fingertips and I must admit there are some things that Commotion can do that the others can't do or do as well. Specifically, I still use commotion to roto with B-Splines and paint with stroke recording. Plus the paint tools in other programs are mostly vector based, The bitmap-oriented tools in Commotion are better to work with sometimes.

But all those tools were in Commotion from the beginning, all the features they add with each new release don't do much to help me and I'd be hard pressed to justify the cost to upgrade for extra compositing features. I kind of wish it would return to its roots and offer a simplified program geared specifically for paint and roto and leave compositing to the others.

Of course, the others (mostly AE and Combustion) wouldn't be where they were if they hadn't borrowed features like RAM playback and rubtext interface elements from Commotion. But as it stands right now, commotion isn't nearly as good at compositing and the compositing features actually make it more difficult to do paint and roto work.

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: It might just be a pigment of our imagination...
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 8:58:48 pm

I totally agree with you. Commotion is the best paint and roto tool on the planet, but is starting to show it's age. Paint needs to be updated to 16bit, and there are a lot of little tweaks that can make the rotosplines even better.

I have to disagree about your statement that the compositing makes roto more difficult. The fact that you can see your composited output as you rotopline is a HUGE time saver, and allows yout o instantly see how things are working out as you go. Previous versions of Commotion can load in more frames and might be a little snappier, but the composite preview makes up for it in my opinion.

Return to posts index

greg gilpatrickRe: It might just be a pigment of our imagination...
by on Feb 5, 2003 at 9:27:49 pm

yeah, that statement was a little too broad than what I meant. I agree with you that it is more helpful to see the full comp at the same time as the masked layer. What I meant was that their interface for setting up composites for roto became unintuitve with ver. 4. I guess I'm still a little bitter that i had to actually read the manual when I upgraded from 3.

Return to posts index

SondraRe: It might just be a pigment of our imagination...
by on Feb 18, 2003 at 12:16:50 am

Greg, in comparing the three products--and any others with motion trackers--which is the best at that feature?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]