Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Commotion 4.1 Pro Struggles With Screen Redraws in OS X

COW Forums : Commotion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter KahnCommotion 4.1 Pro Struggles With Screen Redraws in OS X
by on Oct 17, 2002 at 4:25:44 pm

I just upgraded from Commotion Pro 3.1 to 4.1 and am running on an 800 Mhz Tibook with OS X 10.1.5 (until FCP learns to get along with QT6 and Jag). The application looks to be a beautiful port from 3.1 and OS 9. Lots of care and attention to detail. There are a few things that are driving me absolutely nuts and I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same problem. Perhaps my Tibook is on the fritz or I need to do something about OS X.

When I open the color palette, it defaults to the right side of the screen with the exception of the grad bar that separates itself out and overlays the tool palette on the left side of the screen. This problem is even more pronounced with swatches. When I twirl the swatches down, all the swatches move to the left part of the screen and the swatch palette stays on the right. Try dropping a new color into the right empty space on a blank palette. Doesn't work and quite frustrating. And it gets wierder.

When I use the Option + keyboard shortcut to expand the clip, it redraws a larger mirror image behind the clip window on the left side. What that looks like is the expanded clip window with a duplicate image behind it (no clip window frame)overlaying everything (including the tool bar) in the NorthWest corner of screen real estate. I have to take the clip window and move it over the background image to "erase" it, then click out of Commotion to Finder and back into it to clear the tool palette. Very annoying.

Every so often, little icons from the brush options appear floating in space away from anything else (Oh, look, there's the cute little lock icon out on its own,,,how did it get there??)

Any suggestions? Is this a Commotion problem, OS X or my Tibook that may need to go in for tuning?? If its a Commotion problem, does anyone know of a fix??

Return to posts index

Matt SilvermanRe: Commotion 4.1 Pro Struggles With Screen Redraws in OS X
by on Oct 18, 2002 at 5:55:33 pm

[Peter Kahn] "When I open the color palette, "

This is not happening for me on my 500Mhz Ti with 10.2.1. Sounds like you might need to trash the Commotion prefs, re-install the app, update your OSX, or check for video card driver (ATI or nVidea?) upgrades. It really sounds like a video card problem...

[Peter Kahn] "Try dropping a new color into the right empty space on a blank palette. Doesn't work and quite frustrating"

Do you mean in the swatch palette? This isn't drag and drop. Select acolor then shift-click in the empty space.

Return to posts index

Peter KahnRe: Commotion 4.1 Pro Struggles With Screen Redraws in OS X
by on Oct 18, 2002 at 8:21:12 pm

Turns out the fix was much easier than I thought. I was reading the Commotion Pro 4.1 Release Notes last night and there was a statement about enabling the "Native Draw" methods or whatever that statement is in the Display Sheet for Preferences. Guess trashing the Prefs would have also fixed this since I believe that the default is to use Native draw.

So glad that ComPro now works for me. I would not have wanted to go back to OS 9.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]