Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

ASIO vs WDM drivers in Sonar 2.2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rick MarelliASIO vs WDM drivers in Sonar 2.2
by on Sep 12, 2003 at 11:49:28 pm

I have an audio card (Echo Gina 20) that uses either WDM or ASIO drivers in Sonar 2.2. If I choose the WDM driver I am able to record from the analog inputs but I get pops, clicks and crashes (not the topic of this post). I have the option to choose ASIO in the driver type selection also. If I choose this I get nothing. I can still hear the input from the Echo Console monitor out but when I arm a track to record there is no signal.

Question: Are ASIO drivers intended to be used for capturing analog audio or only for use with Soft Synths and these types of things.

For now I have the Gina 20 removed and I’m just using an SB live. It doesn’t sound as good but it is much more stable.

I’m looking at the Delta 1010LE as my next audio card purchase. Anyone (Jake?) have an opinion on this card?

Thanks

Rick

Return to posts index

Jake TolbertRe: ASIO vs WDM drivers in Sonar 2.2
by on Sep 13, 2003 at 4:22:23 pm

SB live, ouch !!! Kill me now....

Put your Gina back in, load the ASIO drivers.... never look back, stay away from WDM/MME drivers for pro audio work if you can...

ASIO has a number of benefits, most of all lower latency and more efficient audio buffering. And ASIO 2.0 includes a spec for 'tapemachine style' loop-thru direct monitoring, controlled by the host application.... such as Cubase, Nuendo and Logic... Not sure if Sonar supports "direct monitoring". If it fully support ASIO 2.0 or later it should.

Not sure why you can't get record and playback with your Gina..... put it back in, do some more testing adn repost your results.... We'll get it going eventually... I had some experience with the original 1010 a few years ago. Worked flawless on a PC, the drivers were a little buggy on a Mac. It's probably not a bad route to go, then you would have 24bit/96k support.

I know DAW platforms are like religions, but I have to say this anyway. Have you tried Cubase? SX 2.0 just came out. You need to test those ASIO drivers in something else anyway, as a reference to diagnose the problem... Cubase, Nuendo, ACID, Vegas.... Even Premiere Pro and Audition support it now... Even if you have to borrow software or put your card in someone else's machine, that might just tell you where the problem is....

Jake Tolbert
PFS Multimedia
Audio Professionals Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Jake TolbertRe: ASIO vs WDM drivers in Sonar 2.2
by on Sep 13, 2003 at 4:25:22 pm

I never really answered your question directly, ASIO is NOT just for soft-synths, it's a full driver spec, for full-duplex low latency recording and playback.... and the other stuff I mentioned...

Jake Tolbert
PFS Multimedia

Return to posts index

Rick MarelliRe: ASIO vs WDM drivers in Sonar 2.2
by on Sep 13, 2003 at 8:49:50 pm

Thanks a bunch Jake!

I was hoping you would tell me to ditch the Gina 20 so I could put this all behind me. But now that you have re-instilled a small glimmer of hope that the Gina 20 may actually still be useful, I suppose I will have to put myself though a few more days of frustration and chain smoking. Just kidding : ) Had to give the new Forum Leader some crap.

I think I will try to get my hands on some other ASIO apps to see if I can make the Gina work.

Return to posts index

Rick MarelliGina Bad - Delta Good?
by on Sep 15, 2003 at 9:50:47 am

The Gina appears to be a NO-GO in my system. I came up with a copy of Nuendo 2.0 to test with and the results are no better. I couldn’t even get the app to finish loading with the Gina selected in the ASIO setup at first. It was fine using the SB Live with ASIO Multimedia setup. I then configured WinXP as Standard PC as apposed to ACPI and got the Gina on an exclusive IRQ. This time the app would load but still had the same problems as with Sonar.

I saw the Delta 410 at newegg.com for $110 so I ordered one. ($199 everywhere else I checked)

I think I will be fine with 2 analog inputs for now. I might add the Delta 1010LE later (if the 410 works out) as I think I can stack them in the same PC and sync them via SPDIF.

Will let you know how the Delta 410 works out.

Thanks again for the support.

Rick

Return to posts index

Jake TolbertRe: Gina Bad - Delta Good?
by on Sep 15, 2003 at 1:14:10 pm

Delta should work for you. Sometimes that's how the bowling ball bounces, when you have discontinued hardware... we've all been there.

I've found Nuendo 2.01 to be a bit buggy, I'm still using 1.61 for my pro work. As soon as the next update comes out, I will probably work in 2.x all the time...

Jake Tolbert
PFS Multimedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]