Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Big change comin' (lengthy)

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
TVEditBig change comin' (lengthy)
by on Mar 23, 2005 at 9:25:21 pm

Hello!

I’m a professional Editor/Compositor currently living in the Tampa Bay, Florida area, but I will be relocating to California later this year, although I’ve yet to determine Southern or Northern California. Before you tell me "Dude, don't come... it's overloaded with talent", or "there's no work"... I'm coming out regardless. That said:

I have about 15 years experience in the television industry, the last 8 as a full-time Editor/Compositor, and several years before that as an Assistant at a top post house in Chicago. I’m expert in Avid, Discreet Edit, After Effects, Photoshop, and Combustion. I’m currently learning Final Cut Pro HD on my PowerBook.

I have a number of significant broadcast credits to my name, including several specials for Travel Channel, internationally syndicated wildlife/travel programming, national cable programming, among others as well as a slew of commercials, industrials, etc. Sure, my work has won some awards… no Oscars or national Emmys, yet…. But I’m good. I’m serious. I have a very strong work ethic. I’m very easy to get along with.

At the last facility I worked at (I left last month after 6 years to begin plotting my invasion of California), I was known as The Client Guy. Demanding client? I was your guy. New client? I'll win their business. I made a good living out of turning Less Than Desirable situations into Happy Endings for Everyone. I’ve also been told that I have a very strong sense for music editing/audio mixing/sound design – this is an area I enjoy… Part of the problem, especially in broadcast, is that you can get pigeonholed. Do a great job on a show? Great, we’ve got 25 more of them for you to do. So while I may have over 100 episodes on a given show, it doesn’t leave a lot of time for other projects. No music videos, no film work, etc.

Several questions:

What’s the state of the business now for editors in Southern California? What about Northern California? A good friend of mine has said that Southern California is really all about film. Is this indeed true? I would very much like to learn more about film post-production and workflows, but I haven’t really been exposed to it having been in Tampa for the past 9 years. At 37 years of age, is it a losing proposition to pursue film work when you don’t already have a lot of experience in it? I fully understand that getting involved in this would probably entail doing some “spec” projects in order to build a film reel, but is it better to concentrate on your strengths? Play to the strengths in your hand, in other words?

Also, what percentage of editors work freelance vs. full time staff? Having recently gone “freelance” myself, I can say that it works for me (so far). Thankfully, I’ve been very busy since leaving my staff position.

What’s a good freelance rate in Southern California (someone else’s gear)? Northern California?

From reading this (and other) forum(s), it’s clear there are some certain “truths”: your reel has to be great, a lot of it is who you know (I’ve been in this industry too long to not realize that), etc.

I’m wondering if there are resources out there that I may not yet know about. I do know about editorsnet, mandy, productionhub, creativecow, lafcpug…. Any others? What are good ways to meet people in the biz?

If you’ve read this far… thank you. You didn’t have to. But you did. Probably because you love this field, and don’t think twice about spending “free” time reading/studying/thinking about your profession. I’m the same way. I’ve never given serious thought to doing anything else (except for owning an art gallery… which I did. Long story.)

Thanks for any advice/encouragement that you can give.

Pain is temporary... film is forever.

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: Big change comin' (lengthy)
by on Mar 24, 2005 at 12:04:37 am

Bidness is booming all over. Just a matter of finding it.
Dunno the percentage of freelancers vs staffers but I do know if ya head to Cali, you can be kept very busy on some quite wonderful projects. I've had a few friends go on a wing and a prayer and they have all done fantastic.
Your rate is subject to many things. Base it on your confidence. Somewhere between 50 and 70 an hour in most cases.
Cruise down there and hit every event, meeting, get together and shmoozfest you can. Do alot of cold calling. Don't be bashful and don't be afraid of rejection.
Have fun, man. If you do that, you'll always be okay no matter what.

Return to posts index

TVEditRe: Big change comin' (lengthy)
by on Mar 24, 2005 at 3:41:45 am

Thanks for the encouragement, grin!

We do this stuff 'cuz it's fun, don't we? Sometimes hard to allow ourselves to pursue the "fun" in our "work", but I think that's great advice.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Pixel MonkeyRe: Big change comin' (lengthy)
by on Mar 24, 2005 at 6:19:09 pm

[grinner]
"Bidness is booming all over. Just a matter of finding it. Yep.
Your rate is subject to many things. Yep.
Hit every shmoozfest you can. Big yep.
Do alot of cold calling. Don't be bashful and don't be afraid of rejection. Big, BIG yep.
Have fun, man. If you do that, you'll always be okay no matter what." Most agreeably, yep.

Basically, yep.

Oh, and ignore every bit of advice from Resumes For Dummies books. They just teach you to BS, and most Cali-industry pros see right thru all that. And no, you don't need to brush up on your Arnold impersonation. Above all, being 37 means absolutely nothing. Age doesn't dictate creativity. Rock on!

______
/-o-o-
`(=)`/...Pixel Monkey
`(___)

Return to posts index

TVEditBTW, grinner
by on Mar 24, 2005 at 6:54:11 pm

I will be attending the biggest schmoozefest there is... NAB!!

If you're there, too, maybe I can buy ya' a frosty beverage...

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: BTW, grinner
by on Mar 24, 2005 at 8:08:02 pm

I'll be there.
Bring on the frosties, man.

Return to posts index

TVEditRe: BTW, grinner
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 1:57:58 am

Niiiice!

Is there any kind of traditional (or non-traditional) Cow informal get together at NAB? I'm sure there probably is, but if not, there should be.

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: BTW, grinner
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 6:50:07 pm

Grin, my man, I cannot wait to meet you f2f. It's been many years waiting now...

I'll be there for the whole time (we're actually working on a big media install in Vegas now, but alas, I can't discuss that right now...)

Cheers,
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: BTW, grinner
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 1:47:01 am

[TVEdit] "I will be attending the biggest schmoozefest there is... NAB!! "

Be sure and stop by the COW Booth to say hello. Don't forget your coupon from the newsletter to get your free COW Mouse Pad.

Booth SL 457

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!™
creativecow.net
Creative Cow: Sponsors of the NAB 2005 Post|Production World Conference
See us at NAB 2005 in booth SL-457
Watch the Cow Newsletter for a Coupon for a FREE Creative Cow Mouse Pad

Return to posts index

TVEditMouse pad... sweet!
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 1:53:09 am

Oh, yeah! Nearly forgot about that!

Is this what people refer to as "swag"? Or is really pronounced "schhhwaaahhhggg!"?

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: BTW, grinner and BS
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 4:11:23 pm

[Kathlyn Lindeboom] "Don't forget your coupon from the newsletter to get your free COW Mouse Pad"

Hey Kathlyn, I have not been able to open the news letter since you started this coupon thingy, are too many poeple doing it, or is it a thing concerning the new server switchover process? (My e-mail at work doesn't allow HTML, a corporate thing.)

And Mr. TV Edit, concerning the BS thing Pixel Monkey spoke of, you better be able to see through BS also, cause there are a lot of BSers in the LA Market. I have worked with many in that market whose BS is much greater than their abilities.

Number one advice item, "Be yourself, Don't try to be someone you ain't, it will come back to bite ya."

Good Luck Man.
Charlie

Return to posts index

TVEditRe: BTW, grinner and BS
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 6:59:54 pm

Thanks, Charlie!

That's good advice, about being yourself. Something like "if you always are truthful, you don't have to have a good memory".

I'm sure my BS radar will get a good "recalibration" out there...

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: BTW, grinner and BS
by on Mar 25, 2005 at 11:48:10 pm

[Charlie King] "Hey Kathlyn, I have not been able to open the news letter since you started this coupon thingy, are too many poeple doing it, or is it a thing concerning the new server switchover process? (My e-mail at work doesn't allow HTML, a corporate thing.) "

We haven't switched to the new box yet, so that's not it. Our newsletters are html, so that's probably it.

You don't have to worry about it because I know who you are!!!!

We will have a few coupons there at the booth for people to fill out. Obviously, the mouse pads are in limited supply, so Ron is quite adamant about checking to see if people have an active account. We want to give the mouse pads to the people who've supported us over the years.

And I'll have a printout of the leaders' page, so make sure you really look like that picture you sent us! :-) And of course, we'll have the retina scan machine set up as well.

This isn't being advertised: We will be bringing a few bottles of Bovine Bessie's Chicken Sauce. You have to know to ask about it. The requirement is that you have to show up wearing a Creativecow tee shirt and know that we have it. Any of the cow tee shirts will do -- even the limited edition twill shirts that we sold last year. We've given away over 2000 tee shirts, so if you want the Bovine Bessie's, dig out your cow tee shirt and wear it to our booth and tell us, "I want my Bovine Bessie's".

It's going to be fun!

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!™
creativecow.net
Creative Cow: Sponsors of the NAB 2005 Post|Production World Conference
See us at NAB 2005 in booth SL-457
Watch the Cow Newsletter for a Coupon for a FREE Creative Cow Mouse Pad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter