Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Cost estimates for editing time

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
GregCost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 26, 2005 at 11:53:05 pm

I have a first time client who called me on Wednesday looking for me to edit a meeting opener for an internal meeting. He told me that he wanted a 3-4 minute high energy piece featuring teams winning multiple championships, along with words on the screen like teamwork, The will to win, Superior leadership, etc. He wanted high energy music as well. I quoted him a price, and sent him a document for signature. He signed and faxed it back.

The next day, he sent me more specific information, including the creation of 12 detailed sales charts and about 20 captions. He wanted each graphic to effect on and off in an "exciting way". He also dropped off 4 DVD packages with about 50 hours of footage for me to scan through and pick suggestive shots. Their meeting is Monday!
I know I should have gone back to him once I saw the document he sent me. I was hesitant because they signed a contract, and by the time I got the document, it was late in the evening. I couldn't hold off working on the project, because of the time frame.

How would you handle this? I quoted a 20 hour edit, but it's more like a 40 hour edit!
Any thoughts on how long this edit should take? NLE Media 100i.

Also, I sent him a link to a windows media file of the first minute of the show. He's already asked if I can do something with more "sizzle" with the opening graphic, which is a dictionary definition of teamwork. Any thoughts? What would you say to this first time client whom I'd love to have as a regular client?

Sorry for the long post. Gee, I feel better already just by venting.
Thanks so very much.

Greg

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 27, 2005 at 12:20:06 am

just charge your hourly rate, man.
If he wants to drive up costs on this, go ahead a nd make a per hour quote thats much more expensive than the stuff yer payin for now.

Return to posts index

galtRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 27, 2005 at 7:24:55 pm

Actually, since I already answered this post on another forum, the best advice I can give you is to quit cross-posting on the Cow and get to work on this project.

Return to posts index

GregRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 27, 2005 at 8:57:11 pm

Galt... sometimes you have good answers and sometimes you are plain rude! Cross posting about an editing job with other editors would be helpful, wouldn't it?

Mom always said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. Do you want my mom's phone number?

Return to posts index

galtRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 27, 2005 at 9:45:11 pm

Cross-posting is rude. Very much like spamming a board.

Return to posts index

JohnRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 28, 2005 at 4:36:26 pm

So, if you posted on another board, why waste your time here?

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 28, 2005 at 12:08:06 am

[Greg] "Mom always said, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything."

Actually, I think it was Thumper's dad who said that. I grew up with that saying... I guess your mom and I have something in common... :-)

Kathlyn Lindeboom
The Mistress of Mmmooooo!™
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

plasmaRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 28, 2005 at 4:45:31 am

raise the flags and communicate the overages to the original bid. this is where a post producer is key. meaning, if you don't feel like it, they can be the reality check for you and your client. other than that, do the best job possible. it's your duty as editor in any form.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Cost estimates for editing time
by on Feb 28, 2005 at 3:29:36 pm

You signed a fixed-price contract before you got all the info and a real lock on the requirements? Bet you won't make that mistake a second time;-)
I once got burned like that on a wedding job: the bridezilla insisted I stay until the last guest left. By the time I divided the hours into the fixed fee, I was LOSING money. You'd better believe I changed my contracts after that: 1st two hours of reception included, after that, 50 an hour. No more problems.

I'm sorry you got burned on this one. You have to protect yourself with a contract that limits the number of changes/additions, or that at least charges what those are worth. Just the fact that there is a known charge for changes often discourages additional client "tinkering". Also, make sure the person asking for the changes is actually the person that signs the checks. You'd be surprised how often that is not the case, and more surprised how often such changes evaporate when you insist they go thru the check signer for approval.

You can always say you couldn't work with the additional DVD footage because it wasn't legally cleared. that's almost always the case with these kinds of clients too: they think nothing of appropriating copyrighted materials, too cheap to pay for stock footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]