Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Differences in editing for TV/film etc.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
MLDifferences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 6, 2003 at 2:31:38 pm

I've been in the TV production/promotions business since '96. And I've learned alot in that time. Probably the thing I learned the most is that editing is my strongest skill. And now I am thinking of getting out of TV promotions (I've been a promotions producer for about 5 years or so now) and trying to move into strictly editing. And I've got plenty of time to make a decision and make the transistion.

What can you wonderful folks tell me about strictly editing? How much different is editing :30 second spots from a 30 minute short, especially in terms of editing on a computer? How different is the pay/benefits? Suggestions on making the transistion? How can I get a post house to hire me to edit longer-form stuff based on my work which is at most :30 seconds spots? Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks in advance for your advice/stories/help/input/etc.

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 6, 2003 at 10:41:24 pm

Not much I can think of that would really be of great benefit. Regardless of length you are telling a story. If you have been doing 30 second spots and want to do 30 minute stories, consider, it is much more difficult to tell a story in 30 seconds than in 30 minutes. You have half the battle already behind you learning to tell a story without rambling. My experiences were that my cuts tended to be maybe 5 seconds instead of 1 second, I had the problem of becomming bored with a 2 second scene. hahahaha (somewhat exaggerated) I also found that it took me about as long to do a 30 second spot as a 30 minute program, and sometimes the program went faster. Doubt this is much help, but it is all I got on short notice. Good Luck.

Charlie

Return to posts index

grinnerRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 8, 2003 at 1:42:27 am

aint no such thang as srtictly editing. We all edit because we're producers, directors and creators, at least in our own minds.
Don't just edit. Make cool shows. If that show is 30 seconds, make it rock. If it's a half hour long, make it rule. Juse have fun. This is the signle most important thing... not just in this industry but in everything you'll ever do. Smile, push buttons, visualize the end result and make it happen.
Pay? I still can't see how that has anything to do with it. Either your an editor and would do it for nothing, or people pay you six figures to do the same. A real editor will be creating either way. Tv, film, home movie hooha... it's all just pictures makin' a story... what we are all addicted to and would happily do for free.

Return to posts index

Martin RowellRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 8, 2003 at 12:26:46 pm

As the great philospher Red Foxx once said, "You can live well if you're rich and you can live well if you're poor. It's just a whole lot better if you're rich."

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Martin Rowell

Return to posts index

MLRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 8, 2003 at 4:56:33 pm

My questions about pay only have to do with feeding my family... As long as they are have food, I'm perfectly happy with the money. I feel very lucky to be paid doing something I love. Not many people in this world have that as a luxury. Thank you for your thoughts and motivations. :)

Return to posts index

Jim CookmanRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 8, 2003 at 11:15:52 pm

The pay issue really has everything to do with the market you're in. Remember that going from a station to a post house is also a move to the other side of the food chain. A station is the predator as far as post houses are concerned. Stations have all the ad revenue and what you do there is really a frill tacked on to the marketing machine. A post house thrives on bringing in new clients, making them ecstatic, and KEEPING them.

So market area is everything. How many post houses are there in your market? How many editors? How big is the freelancer base? When things get busy, post houses tend to tack on freelancers on a project basis, and lose 'em as soon as the busy period ends.

Just my 2 cents...

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: Differences in editing for TV/film etc.
by on May 15, 2003 at 12:32:43 am

I've been on a long shoot so haven;t been available for a few days. I have to say concerning Jim's statement. TV Stations use the productions departments as a tool for sales. "Give us a nice time buy and we'll give you productiion at a cut rate." Clients with the bucks will still use the post houses, cause that is where the experience goes. After using a TV station to hone his skills an editor or a director or even a producer will go to where the money and equipment is, unless he/she is totally engrossed with the "Live" syndrome. TV stations for the most part put their money in broadcast and equipment for news, not post production.

My 4 cents worth.

Charlie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]