Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Teething Troubles

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Peter WrightTeething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:12:02 am

I’ve had VV3 for a week, and after lots of minor learning curves (after 7 years of Premiere) it’s almost getting to be fun.

Main hassle at present is outputting to tape, which has a slight strobey effect – slight jerks interrupting smooth motion.

I’d like to find out what I’m doing wrong – I can output flawlessly thru’ firewire with Premiere 6 - even though my machine is comparatively old (PIII 450, 256Mb ram), my video drives are capable of write speeds around 19 Mb/sec which is several times faster than DV needs.

I have checked “Ignore 3rd party codecs” in General Prefs, and have DV output selected in Video Device Prefs.

To output, I am using Tools > Print video to DV Tape

Are there other settings I should check?

Also, even when I output an untouched clip that’s been captured in VV3, it takes about 3 mins to render a 1 min clip. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help

Peter

Return to posts index

DSERe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:53:40 am

Did you capture the footage with Premiere? I wonder if you are having some issues there. Shouldn't, as Vegas would have recompressed all the media. However, your 'untouched clip' test tells me that the codec is not Vegas' but rather MS. Still shouldn't take 3 mins, but then again, PIII450 is the slowest qualified machine that Vegas will run on. If you've ignored 3rd party codecs, it may also be that Vegas is confused with the thirdparty codec you've captured the media with. I've never ignored them in the final release version, but in the beta's, if it was checked, there were issues with some of the other DV codecs.
I'd:
Reset all boxes to default.
Capture media with Vegas
edit short section
Print to tape from timeline, let Vegas do everything on it's own, with nothing touched from default settings.
Report back.

Return to posts index

Peter WrightRe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 3:03:35 am

Thanks, Douglas

I captured the clip in Vegas, so as far as I know it used the Vegas Codec - under Properties of the Clip in Media Pool, under Format, it simply says DV. Is there somewhere I can check which codec was used?

thanks again

Peter

Return to posts index

DSERe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 3:40:06 am

If you captured in Vegas, it used the Vegas codec.
I'd next look at render settings. What did you render to? I'm guessing that it was 'uncompressed/best?' Again, render to all default settings, choosing NTSC-DV. Just that, changing no other settings. Or, print to tape, setting nothing. It will auto render to the correct settings.
Let us know what happens then

Return to posts index

Mark McKelveyRe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 4:32:51 am

This is where VV 3.0 needs a feature like the settings viewer in Premiere 6.0. As much as I like editing with VV when it comes to rendering, outputing and capturing, VV can be a little confusing
wouldn't you say? A settings viewer would clear this up pretty fast.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2002 at 4:58:49 am

Under Project Properties > Video I used the PAL DV template (I am in Western Australia), and under Full Resolution rendering quality the setting was "Good". Tape playback still jerks.

As a test, I just captured exactly the same footage in Premiere 6 and it played back perfectly from the timeline thru firewire.

Just a thought - I am outputting thru a Panasonic Camera, and in Premiere there is a Panasonic Generic Setting I use - Is there a similar parameter in VV3?

Peter

Return to posts index

David HagueRe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 5:00:46 am

Hi Peter - if you just play back the timeline after rendering, is it smooth? Can you passthru the camera to see it on a monitor? If so, is it smooth there?

David
Shazian Australia (but "home" will always be West Oz!)

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2002 at 5:14:59 am

Hello David,

Do you mean "Preview on External Monitor"? - if so, this behaves the same as Print to DV tape.

Very frustrating - everything else about Vegas is silky smooth, and I'm looking forward to using it for jobs, but I'm still having to use Premiere for these.

Peter

Return to posts index

David HagueRe: Teething Troubles
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 5:17:33 am

Okaaaay..... if you don;t preview to monitor, just to the PC screen i the preview window, is it OK there? If so, it would mean a prob with the Firewire connection methinks. Have you checked IRQ conflicts? What OS are you?

David
Shazian Australia

Return to posts index

Peter WrightCurioser and Curioser ...
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 7:26:01 am

Yes, David, it previews fine on the computer screen.
But, the same firewire connection is working fine from within Premiere,
and ...
I've just found that if I put the another clip captured in Premiere with the MS DV codec (same footage) onto the Vegas Timeline, it plays out perfectly using Preview to External monitor AND, when I print to DV Tape with this one, it a) Renders in about 12 sec (The Vegas clip took 3 mins) and b) Plays perfectly.

This is encouraging, because I've obviously either got a setting or two wrong, or there's something funny about the clip I captured in Vegas. (No dropped frames reported)

Any ideas?

Peter

(My OS is 'good ole' W98SE)

Return to posts index

Peter WrightUpdate - solution at hand?
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 8:48:53 am

I'm still not sure about lots of things, but I have now recaptured the same clip, and this time it plays back fine.
It also only took 3 or 4 secs to render - that's more like it! Obviously there was something strange about the previously captured clip, but how do I find out what it was? Is there an equivalent to Premiere's clip properties, which included codec name, graph of data rate to identify bad frames, frame size, average data rate, audio settings and other useful bits of info.

Although I am delighted to have succeeded in getting satisfactory output, I still get confused as to which drive I am capturing to, where the render files are kept and what they are called, and other file management issues. Can someone please direct me to the appropriate section of TFM so I can R it?

thanks

Peter

Return to posts index

Marty HedlerRe: Update - solution at hand?
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:10:55 pm

Hi Peter,

When you use the Summary View in the Explorer panel, you will see a file description below each element you select, although codec is not identified. You can also right click for similar info.

Places to R:

Vegas Online Help > Project Properties

Video Capture Online Help > Peferences

PDF Manual: Using Advanced Video Features > Modifying Project Video Properties

HTH, MPH

Return to posts index

Peter WrightThanks all
by on Jan 31, 2002 at 1:56:20 am

Thanks for all the responses - I have had a good read, and am getting wiser by the minute!

Peter

Return to posts index

DSERe: Update - solution at hand?
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:41:20 pm

For disk management, in the capture window go to Options/Prefs/Disk management, you'll see what disks are enabled. By default, Vegas will capture to the C drive or where Vegas lives, into the Vegas 3.0 folder. You can redirect that capture to anywhere you'd like.

Return to posts index

vitamin_DRe: Curioser and Curioser ...
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:33:55 pm

Peter

(My OS is 'good ole' W98SE)

I shudder and need to be wrapped in a warm blanket at the thought of going back to 98SE :0

- jim

Return to posts index

Peter WrightRe: Curioser and Curioser ...
by on Jan 31, 2002 at 8:58:58 am

Vitamin D,

You've obviously had some very nasty experiences with W98SE!

Although I'm looking forward to a forthcoming purchase involving XP, a CPU around 2Ghz, 2Gb ram and 2 monitors, I have had a fabulous 3+ years with W98SE - rock solid and hardly a system crash, and I have been editing video every day during that time.

If it's not too painful, what were your problems, and what was your solution (hope you found a warm blanket, although that's the last thing you'd need in West Oz at the momrent!

Peter

Return to posts index

Dr. DropoutRe: Curioser and Curioser ...
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:45:22 pm

Are you always capturing to the same drive, in all tests?

Return to posts index

Dr. DropoutRe: Curioser and Curioser ...
by on Jan 30, 2002 at 2:47:00 pm

...and is your project set to PAL DV?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]