Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PARTICLE ILLUSION:particle Illusion Forumparticle Illusion Tutorialsparticle IllusionAfter Effects ForumAutodesk Combustion Forum

blood emitter

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
erik1185blood emitter
by on Apr 23, 2004 at 4:36:05 pm

is there any blood emitters out there... or how to make blood in particle illusion 3?

i need blood spurts that happen when someone gets shot..

it can look cheasy and unreal.....

thanks

Return to posts index

Mr. E. TraneRe: blood emitter
by on Apr 23, 2004 at 5:57:57 pm

Unfortunately I’m still using the demo because I am undecided on the product as of this moment, so I don’t think I can actually give you the emitters. But If I decide to buy soon, I’ll post back to you and see if I can get them to you. I can, however, give you a few guidelines that might help you create such an effect. I seem to have gotten a fairly realistic gunshot wound this way.

The most important thing is to layer several different kinds of emitters with different shades of red and different particles to get the right effect. I used 6 emitters. Two were made up of particles from the “Splash” shape and three were made with the “Small Dots” shape. They were all “Point” emitters. These emitters have varying velocities, but most were set around 150. Some crescendo higher (up to 340) though. The number of particles varies from emitter to emitter. All of them globally gained more weight over time so the particles would “Spurt” out of the wound, and then fall out of frame. The last emitter was the “into a dust trail” emitter whose color and parameters I altered to make some “red dust”. Once all the emitters looked right I adjusted the life and visibility of each to make the particles disappear in the appropriate amount of time and blend in with eachother and the background.

In my scene, we cut to the wound just after the gunshot has actually taken place, so I also preloaded all the emitters by 10-20 frames so that when we get to the gunshot wound, he is already bleeding and we only see the tale end of the exit wound. This was very helpful in selling the illusion because I didn’t have to try and make the exit wound look real. Getting the wound to open realistically would have been pretty difficult imhop.

Having the particles adjust their color to different shades of red over time and layering them with different tints really helps sell the illusion. I made most of the shades darker shades of red, as bright red blood looks really fake. I also found that having the tint color be a different shade of red (as oppose to black or gray) helped a lot. You have to play with it against the background image. I found that what the particles are actually doing and what it looks like they are doing against the background are very different things. It is an illusion. My particles look like they are just sort of flying all over the place when you remove the background image, but with it there, it looks like they follow his head out of frame. It’s important to keep in mind that the whole thing is an illusion.

I also added some deflectors that I shaped around parts of his body to help the effect. As he falls out of frame his arm crosses paths with the blood. So I animated a deflector, set against his arm, to go through the particles. This scattered the particles based on their bounce settings and helped give the effect that his arm went through the blood. I also blocked off part of his head with a deflector, so that some of the particles that hit him bounce off. It helped make it look as though he falls into the blood. You have to be careful with this though, because too much bounce isn’t very realistic for liquid. I mean, blood wouldn’t really bounce off of his head it would splatter on him. But like I said it is an illusion, and having some interaction between the background and the particles via the deflectors helps sell it.

I hope that helps you some. Enjoy playing. It is certainly a fun program!

-trane

Return to posts index

kimRe: blood emitter
by on Apr 23, 2004 at 8:51:01 pm

Hey Erik - If you send your e-mail address to me (k.cuttle@comcast.net) I will send you two blood spurt ipf files. This might be what you are looking for

Return to posts index

Charles PetersonRe: blood emitter
by on Apr 28, 2004 at 9:30:22 am

Hey Kim can you email me the Blood squirts too? coolwavepics@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Paul HansenRe: blood emitter
by on Apr 28, 2004 at 2:52:18 pm

Just for fun... I started playing with the blood emitters idea and made a little video for the WrigelyVideo.com forum http://phansen.ca/TripToG.wmv If anyone wants to play with the emitters I created (altered), they can be found at http://phansen.ca/BloodStuff.il3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]