Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

text to smoke/sand blowing - like "Traffic"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
gian ganzianotext to smoke/sand blowing - like "Traffic"
by on Jun 14, 2001 at 9:12:00 pm

i looked for any old post like this, but didnt see one. I am trying to do the effect like they did in Traffic, the text blows away like smoke or sand. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 14, 2001 at 10:31:57 pm

This is an exremely complicated effect that can be created in AE pro bundle with Particle Playground or with a few different plug-ins, but none are very easy. As to the particle playground way, check the Adobe site. They had a tutorial a few months ago. Otherwise look hard at a 3D application like Lightwave with particle EFX or 3D Studio Max. The original was done in SoftImage with a little live action mixed in.

Michael

Return to posts index

John FischerRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 14, 2001 at 10:50:13 pm

Richard Lainhart of the NYAE group did a tutorial on this that works very well using the Shatter filter. I think he's at Total Training also. He's posted this on another site ;) before.

John Fischer

Return to posts index

Kathlyn LindeboomRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 14, 2001 at 11:10:28 pm

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Tobias Lind gave us a tutorial some time ago that I just haven't had time to reformat the page. In it he describes making your logo look like it's going up in smoke.

Click here to see it.

No cute cow, but it might help.

Kathlyn Lindeboom

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2001 at 2:51:40 am

Here is the copy of Richard Lainhart's version of the "Traffic" open -- his text:

03. Windblown Sand is the most "realistic" of the three versions, and is also a little more complex. First, I imported a clip art file of photographed sand (RealSand.psd). I used the text as a track matte to cut the sand image into the shape of the text, then precomposed the comp (RealSand Text Comp). Shatter will use the pixels in this sand image as the texture map for each Shatter Shape, so our sand particles will have actual sand grain pixels mapped to them. Next, I applied two copies of the Bevel Alpha filter to the Real Sand Comp, set to different Light Angles, to add some dimension to the track matted sand. I then added another copy of the RealSand image to the comp, and turned off its visibility. This layer then serves as a Gradient Layer to control which parts of the image will blow away first. Animating the Shatter Threshold, as in the Hourglass comp, causes the sand to progressively blow away.

The Shatter Threshold parameter sets which pixels in the Gradient Layer will be blown away, and which will remain. With a Shatter Threshold of 50%, for example, pixels with a luminance value of 50% or greater will be blown away. Animating this value up forces progressively darker and darker pixels to be blown away. With a simple top-to-bottom gradient as your Gradient Map, this causes the shatter shapes to blow away in topto bottom order, as in the Hourglass example. The luminance values in the sand image, however, are much more random than a gradient, and so the order of pixels being blown away is correspondingly more random. In this case, using the sand image as the Gradient Layer results in a much more natural, organic sand blow pattern.

Add some Gaussian Blur to the particles to soften them up and make them look more like dust or snow if you like. You may have more control over the blurring if you blur a second copy of the Shatter layer and composite it over the original, rather than blurring the original layer. This will require a lot more memory, of course.

-- I've tried it and it works great.. render time is a huge hit (and I've got a G4 400), plus you need loads of RAM. But the results are well worth it. I was very appreciative of Richard for e-mailing me his version..extremely helpful and willing to share. HTH.

John

Return to posts index

pixel - Roland KahlenbergRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 15, 2001 at 3:36:01 am

Thanks for the info John. My computer's rendering right now and I can't actually give this a shot right now. I was wondering how you got the plug to shatter according to the shapes (Custom Shape) of the sand particles.

I'm certain that another layer will be providing the information for the shattered shapes, but can the said layer be of a smaller size than the final comp? And should it be greyscale and does it support Alpha Channels. They may be obvious, but I just want to be certain.

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2001 at 4:01:07 am

Another layer is providing the info for the scattered shapes (in this case a photoshop file of a pict of sand). Invert the gradient (in shatter) and animate the threshold from 30-100% over the animation (about 5 seconds works pretty well).

It doesn't have to be greyscale (the sand pic is made up of browns/tans/whites, etc ...). Not sure if it can be a different size than layer (example I tested was same size).

Here's some more of Richard's notes he sent me:

"In each comp, I'm using Triangles 1 as the Shatter Map, set to a high Shape Repetition value to create very small, sand-like particles. Using such a small Repetition value results in a very large number of polygons, which in turn requires a lot of memory to render. You'll probably need at least 256 MB RAM to render these examples. If you find that you're running out of memory while rendering, try setting the Shape Extrusion Depth to 0. This will render the shattered shapes as flat, two-sided planes without edges instead of thicker, 5-sided pyramids, resulting in far fewer polygons to render. Because the flat planes tend to disappear when viewed edge-on, the flying sand will appear less dense than the extruded shape version, so you may want to decrease the Shape Repetition value to create larger sand particles."

Reps were set to 170, with extrusion depth to .05.
Force 1 radius .43, strength .51
Gradient (sand.psd) inverted, threshold animate 30-100% over course of animation.
Physics randomness .5, gravity 4.0, grav. direction 92 (if animating from left to right).

Again, this is all Richard Lainhart's tutorial, I'm just passing it along (which I understood was okay). The final results look great, definitely worth trying (but render overnight!!!).

Cheers,

John

Return to posts index

AnonymousRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 14, 2001 at 11:18:05 pm

I have attempted this effect with both particle playground and shatter with little success. The problem with Particle Playground is that you can't really have irregular particle shapes (the sort of flake-like particles in the Traffic example) unless you use a layer map, and then you have to figure out how to get those particles to line up for your logo/type. If you use the exploder, your particles can only be square shaped, or very tiny pixles... Shatter is problematic cuz you can't create fluid movements as the particles travel. Each particle gets an initial velocity as it is shattered, and you can't really control it much afterwards... All you can use is viscosity and gravity, and these control -all- particles at the same time, so you can't really get that air current look. If the force spheres in shatter could act more like gravitational fields that affect particles -continuously,- then you might get somewhere... thou I suspect this would increase render time siginificantly...
If anyone has had better success.. I would be happy to hear...

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2001 at 1:24:47 am

You could use a Distort plug to get more fluidy into the shapes after they shatter. Each letter needs to be on its own Comp so that you can do some camera movement towards the debris more realistically. If you see the actual effect, the debris from the first T zooms into the camera while the other letters are still at their original placement.

I would try FE Smear or even FE Shear to distort the debris going ato a more realistic motion.

Looks like a good tutorial to have. Anyone game enough?

Return to posts index

Mark SimpsonRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 16, 2001 at 12:00:11 am

I'd like to take a stab at recreating the effect, if someone would post a movie of the title somewhere so we can all get a look at it. I haven't seen traffic, so I'm not able to fully visualize the effect in question. At the very least it'd be fun to try and work it out as a group.

It gets asked for a lot though, so it must be pretty cool.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2001 at 2:02:57 am

Hi there Mark, here's the URL,
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1103281/multimedia.php

The effect appears towards the end of each trailer.

Just tried it with AE 5 and it looks pretty good comparatively speaking. Read up on John's posts on Richard Lainhart's tutorial and it should be quite easy.

Cheers and God Bless.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2001 at 5:45:06 am

Thanks Roland,

Now at least I know what everybody is talking about. I would think that the effect in shatter would be a little different, (but better). A combination of shatter and pp could really be cool looking.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2001 at 7:46:10 am

Shatter together with FE TimeBlendFx, Echo, and possibly FE Smear would do the trick quite well. I would stay away from PP for this. The hassle isn't necessary.

And a duplication of the text "Tra" (not the entire text) would be sufficient to add to the mass of the particles, thus giving the entire effect a more interesting and realitic look.

I was pretty surprised at what Shatter can do. I would give the camera parameter three thumbs up - if I could.

Cheers dude, and God Bless.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2001 at 3:47:19 pm

Hi Roland,

Unfortuantely, I don't have FE, but I want it. I have the total training tapes for FE which makes not having FE a bit frustrating. Some day, some way, I'll get my hands on the filter package, hopefully while it's sti;; usefull. Right now, it's pretty much paying bills and rent only (with a little food if I've been good)... :)

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2001 at 1:25:44 am

Hi there Michael

What are the possibilities of Illusion doing this Fx?

Cheers.

Return to posts index

jean hauptmanRe: text to smoke/sand blowing - like
by on Jun 15, 2001 at 3:37:13 am

I don't remember seeing this effect, but to have a word gradually disintigrate and blow away would be simple with the AE 5.0 Shatter filter. (Or is the effect even more organic?)
At any rate, to use shatter, import type file. Make a simple B&W gradient map (visibility off) and apply Shatter. It will let you control direction, gravity, shard size and a lot of other things.
One of the Boris particle sets, 3-d or 2-d shatter might also work.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2001 at 3:43:51 am

Hi Jean

here's the URL, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1103281/multimedia.php

cheers and have fun.

Return to posts index

mark harveyBoris....
by on Jun 15, 2001 at 11:56:35 am

Go to Borisfx.com, then click on Tim's corner, he shows how to do this on Boris fx.....If you don't have Borisfx, sorry to waste your time......

Regards
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]