Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg NeumayerAdvice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 25, 2001 at 6:15:15 am

I'm currently running AE5pb on a G3-400, 576 ram. I'd like to be able to play back uncompressed D-1 30fps renders on screen. What hardware do I need? Disk array? I've seen single internal drives advertised that have above 30MB/s throughput. With my (non-tech) math, if each frame is about 1MB, it seems like I'd only need 30MB/sec throughput capacity for real-time playback. Am I mistaken? Are these ads touting numbers that aren't really real-world relevent? Secondly, I'd like to see it in another monitor, NTSC monitor, or just on a TV, with the ability to plug a VCR or rented Beta deck in-line to record as I playback. I imagine I need an additional video card. Will that give me just another monitor, or can I make it display just the playback movie, or both?
Thanks for your advice.

Return to posts index

Greg Neumayerp.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 25, 2001 at 6:19:28 am

p.s. When I say real-time playback, I'm hoping I could play it from a Quicktime file. Do I need to acquire some sort of editing software instead?

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: p.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 25, 2001 at 7:51:08 am

After effects has a real-time "preview" function that you could record via EchoFire, but it is limited to the amount of RAM you have. If you need the final render, you would do better to look a t Final Cut Pro or Premiere as they are written to take advantage of the proccessor speed versus AE which relies more on memory to render frames.

Michael

Return to posts index

mark cookmanRe: p.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 25, 2001 at 11:21:33 am

The most solid thing you can get is an outboard device like the accom wsd , they are noisy & expensive but very reliable as the Mac does no work at all when playing back video , you can render straight to it (after paying off diaquest ), you can capture uncompressed all day and never get a squeak because the video I/O is utterly dependable and is output in all formats concurrently , older models are audio only and short duration .
With an older mac this is your best option .

Media 100 needs its own software and can be limiting , you have to render and playout on media 100 enabled machines , the codec needs the hardware to encode. I dont think its as stable in a complicated environment but it does do lots ( great audio multiple input output options etc).

If you get a G4 (Sawtooth spec) Mac:

The Digi voodoo D1 desktop is very stable and great quality but you would need converter box from D1 to component and also a raid array for storage and playback .

Formac studio , renders to DV codec which looks pretty nice on a PAL monitor and its real time , your images are compressed 25:1 though .

If you just want to playback uncompressed on screen then get a brand new G4 (any model of the latest generation I think they all have 4 x PCI slots ) , QT movie player is very good at on screen playback (animation codec) .

Return to posts index

AnonymousRe: p.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 25, 2001 at 1:32:11 pm

Do you need a G4 to run the Digi voodoo board?

Return to posts index

mark cookmanRe: p.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output?
by on May 26, 2001 at 9:44:23 am

yes I cant run it well on a B&W

Return to posts index

AnonymousRe: p.s. Advice on upgrading Mac to real-time output? Cant or Can
by on May 26, 2001 at 11:04:11 am

In your post you said "cant run it well" you mean you can run it well on a G3 right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]