Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tylor LarsonIs After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 3:13:04 pm

hello cows

I have heard rumors .... from a very bad source..... that after effects is not truely HD ready. From what I can understand all of the effect that are built into after effect are designed for NTSC standard def broadcast. So when you made a HD comp and then use AE normal effect the effect will look bad because they are not high def? I have also seen a lot of companies making effect that are custom for HD. So what is the difference between these?

I also have some Hardware question. We are a medium size company and are moving up fast. So what kind of storage units would any one suggest for us. Currently we have 3 tera of storage on a unity system for avid but we need more for the graphics department. We are thinking of going to a SAN Drive with fiber optic connections.

Finaly what kind of computers would be best for a render farm and how many. We mostly do after effects and Maya renders on these computers Currently we have 4 Dual Zion processor computers. please post links to websites if at all possible.

Thanks Cows

Return to posts index

Rick GerardRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 3:57:15 pm

AE can be used for any sized project up to 30,000 pixels. That's more than 10 times HD resolution. The only limitation is the storage and memory requirements that are required. There have been more than 300 feature films containing scenes created with After Effects including many current releases. There's nothing in any of the effects that ship with AE that limit the size (resolution) of the composition. Your source is ill-informed.

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 6:21:53 pm

I'll just chime in and agree with Rick here.

Somehow there's an ongoing 'rumor' that After Effects isn't a professional tool, or not up to high-end film work. And thats far from the truth.

Some people prefer a node-based compositor like Shake or Digital Fusion (not DFX+, because it's 8-bit). But After Effects has a very clean high-quality renderer. And the suggestion that After Effects effects aren't capable of working at HD resolution is utter and complete crap. Nonsense. There's a couple of 3rd party plugins that are limited to NTSC or PAL comps, so the developer can make some more money off of HD licenses. But that's all.

A main advantage of Shake is that it works in floating point color space, but eLin is a workable workaround. I'd prefer the option to work in float in AE, but eLin works for now.

Just know that After Effects is the compositing tool of choice for The Orphanage (Hellboy, The Day After Tomorrow...) and many at Tippett Studio's prefer it over Shake.

Thought you might like to know.

And fibre SAN seems to be the choice at the higher end facilities...

Bar3nd

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

doenRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 29, 2004 at 11:39:50 am

sorry to barge in like this...but...what is eLin?

Žiga Dolar, vfx supervisor for DOEN vfx

Return to posts index

erik cantuRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 6:23:03 pm

If it was a bad source, and only a rumor, why did you believe it?

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 6:33:42 pm

I guess some people want to believe that Elvis still lives...

;-)

Bar3nd

P.S. now watch this thread become longer than most Mac vs PC threads... Come to think of it. We haven't had any of those for a while now, I almost miss them...

Forum COWmunity leader for:
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS
MAGIC BULLET SUITE
INDIE FILM & DOCUMENTARY

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 7:30:27 pm

Elvis is dead?

Return to posts index

Geoff BaileyRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 26, 2004 at 8:01:45 pm

No I'm not dead. I've simply relocated to a small design firm in NYC.

Yours,

The King

Geoff Bailey
Finegrit Design
http://www.finegritdesign.com

Return to posts index

Bob BonniolRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 27, 2004 at 12:07:56 am

Ummm NOT.

We've used AE to create moving clips at 4160 x 1792 to fill an 80 foot by 50 foot projection screen made by blending 8 XGA projectors. This is somewhere north of film res. Sharp, beautiful, and nary an artifact to be found. The highest of the high end post houses use AE alongside every other tool... Inferno.... Saber.... Smoke.... Shake... You'll find AE working right alongside.

AE has ALWAYS been resolution independent.

Use with confidence.

Best,
Bob

Creative Director
Mode Studios / Monarch Designs
http://www.monarchdesigns.com
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Damien KellyRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 27, 2004 at 12:54:58 am

Barend Onnaweer wrote,

Somehow there's an ongoing 'rumor' that After Effects isn't a professional tool, or not up to high-end film work. And thats far from the truth.”

I agree.

I am constantly amazed by the perception that AE is just a clunky old tool that amateurs use.

Arrogance and ignorance won’t get you far in this industry.
(not aimed at you Tylor)

Damo.

Return to posts index

cbbfloating point color? node based? is there a better way?
by on Aug 29, 2004 at 5:02:50 pm

i've been using AE for 10 years now, and of course the mind tends to wander...
so what's so great about shake?
what's this 'floating point color' thing?
does 'node based' compositing achieve a better result?
does shake produce better composites?

thanks!
b

Return to posts index

Alex RoseRe: Is After Effect Ready for HD? HD hard drive storage units? Render farm computers
by on Aug 31, 2004 at 2:42:14 am

Nobody has replied to his question about rendering. I am using After Effects 6.5 professional on about five G5s

I am struggling with figuring out how to use more than one machine to network render our AE projects. On a typical evening, we have a few 3-7 hour renders to do on two different G5's. And, our office has three other G5's that sit idle.

I have been collecting files to external HDs and rendering on the idle G5's when we have more to do than we could on individual machines in one night.

A few questions:

1) Is there a more efficient way to render? I want to finish with quicktime movies and not individual frames.

2) Can we be rendering locally or over the network while an artist is working in After Effects?

Please include links and be as specific as possible. I am also looking to hire a consultant to help us hands on. Can anyone recommend one in the Los Angeles (Hollywood) area?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]