Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Smooth slow motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jukkaSmooth slow motion
by on Mar 30, 2004 at 7:25:18 pm

Hi
any tips on how to do smooth slow motions without jitter etc.

In this case I'm trying to achieve this with time remapping:
http://www.kickstandmedia.com/tutorials/rampedslowmo/rampedclip2.html

It works, but my clip isn't smooth there's jitter.
Anyone know what to do to make it smooth?

Return to posts index

Chris SmithRe: Smooth slow motion
by on Mar 30, 2004 at 7:28:02 pm

I assume you've tried frame blending and it still is too jittery. Twister is an awesome plug-in that creates smooth motion by interpolating the pixels in the frame to create smooth motion.

Chris Smith
http://www.sugarfilmproduction.com

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Smooth slow motion
by on Mar 30, 2004 at 7:56:05 pm

ReTimer is pretty good, too -- comparable with Twixtor, from what I hear ... but watch out for the occasional glitchy bit with reTimer. Don't assume that the entire piece will render perfectly. You might need to tweak the settings.

Hope that helps,
Steve

Return to posts index

rogeRe: Smooth slow motion, RE: ReTimer
by on Mar 30, 2004 at 8:38:59 pm

Though it can occasionally crash, I have experienced excellent results with ReTimer. Always begin with stable footage or (least) footage that has been stabilized. Recall the axiom, ‘garbage in garbage out’ and don’t expect the impossible.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Smooth slow motion, RE: ReTimer
by on Mar 30, 2004 at 9:07:23 pm

Heh ... the footage was rendered CG, but there were some repetitive skyscraper windows to contend with.

Nonetheless, GIGO holds true.

SR

Return to posts index

Peter LitwinowiczRe: Smooth slow motion, RE: ReTimer
by on Mar 31, 2004 at 12:35:21 am

[Steve Roberts] "Heh ... the footage was rendered CG, but there were some repetitive skyscraper windows to contend with"

Remember that Twixtor Pro allows you to guide where things are moving BEFORE calculating the motion vectors (hinting the plugin before the tracking occurs is crucial for many problematic clips). In the case of the repetitive windows which can be a pain to track, you can simply use an AE spline to show Twixtor where things are moving from frame to frame. Yes, hand-roto is a pain. But giving simple guidance via splines or points to get better results can save you from hours of painting after the fact :-).

Pete
http://www.revisionfx.com

Return to posts index

Danny JassyRe: Smooth slow motion
by on Apr 10, 2004 at 2:13:09 am

alright, i checked out the tutorial in the link you provided and thought i should point out this-

"Step 11: This should create a smooth curve, play with them until you get it right, then click 'RAM preview' and see your creation, you will get frame jitters and such right now, don't worry about those until exporting."

This leads to my next question: is it jittery after youve rendered it on highest quality settings, and proper frame size and rate? Becuase that can help narrow down the problem.

Also through personal expirience with this issue if you happen to be slowing down skateboarding, and even if not, sometimes changing the angle or length of keyframe nodes (step #11 in tutorial) can achieve a smooth playback, and and enhanced so-mo effect. Similarly picking new start and end keyframes can help.

The last thing to remember is that some clips, depending on the angle of the camera in relation to the action, or the settings on the camera that filmed it, may always have some degree of shakiness to them.
hope this helps,
danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]