Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Crayon or grease pencil look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mikeCrayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 5:30:44 pm

I've got a few illustrator blueprint style images (buildings) that I need to look like crayon, I've tried a couple of different things but nothing seems to be giving me the desired effect...

so far I've tried:
Photoshop: colored pencil, Rough pastel (both of which add color) I need to have the effect k/o to the background

Spatter, sprayed strokes (neither of these is quite right)

and torn edges (still not there)

I need the thickness of the lines to feel hand drawn, alternating natural deviations in thinckness...

my final usage is for an AE animation over a background...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

mike

Return to posts index

chaseRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 5:52:03 pm

I just did this. Get some textured paper. Draw what you want with a grease pencil. Scan it. Bring it into AE and animate a mask to reveal the drawing or use vector paint as a mask with animated stokes. This is fast easy and looks very organic!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 8:04:27 pm

Software called StudioArtist... does this perfectly.

Return to posts index

MarcusRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 10:06:18 pm

Draw with Vector Paint. If you want, you can trace a scan or Photoshop drawing by applying Vector Paint to the scan/drawing layer. When you're done tracing, change the Composite Paint setting to Only, and your scan/drawing will vanish, leaving only the Vector Paint.

Then, in the Vector Paint properties, twirl open Wiggle and Enable Wiggling. Set Wiggles/Second to zero. Then play with the other wiggle properties until you get the look you want. Pay special attention to the Pressure properties.

Finally, add the Scatter effect with a slight Scatter Amount and UNcheck Scatter Randomness.

The Bevel Alpha effect might help make it pop!

Return to posts index

MarcusRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 10:07:17 pm

I forgot to mention, in Vector Paint, set the Playback Mode to All Strokes.

Return to posts index

mikeRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 22, 2003 at 10:21:39 pm

Thanks alot for all the ideas... I'll let you know how it all turns out

mike

Return to posts index

Chris ZwarRe: Crayon or grease pencil look
by on Oct 23, 2003 at 2:09:04 am

I did something similar recently and used a variety of effects, but the basically "roughen edges" was the key to breaking up the original image, then I used multiple copies with different transfer modes and some basic blur. Worked very well. I also used the original image as a lumma matte for some fractal noise to get a more interesting texture.

Chris Zwar
Entertainment Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]