Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Dynamics Question - Noobie, Again - Lo Siento :-(

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jim PayneDynamics Question - Noobie, Again - Lo Siento :-(
by on Jul 1, 2004 at 11:25:18 pm

You guys have saved my bacon more than once and here I am beggin’ again! ;-)

I have an animation to complete tonight, so if you know this one and can respond before Friday morning CMT USA time, please do. I will owe you big time. I will also be checkin’ this post every hour on the hour for the next 6 or 7 hours.

Assume I know nothing about Dynamics, which would be true. I have two polygon objects that I want to interact. One is the outside layer of skin on an eyeball, the other is a fairly large, rounded end cannula or needle. I’ve converted both to polys, or I can place a sphere at the end of the needle for the second object. What I need to do is insert the needle under the skin object and have the needle or the sphere at the end of the needle.... Ya know what, now that I think about it, I will probably need the needle as the second poly object, because I don’t want the skin to collapse once the end of the needle passes. I need to be able to insert the needle, just under the skin and have the needle object repel the skin object, just enough to make it look like the needle is pushing up the skin. Make sense?

Like I said probably a noobie question for anyone with basic Dynamics skills, but I have been through the manual and tutorials and I can not find a quick answer. I’m sure if I had a few days, I could figure it out. I’m guessing the answer will be some type of rigid body for the needle and a soft body of some kind for the skin?

Anticipating your kindness,

JP

Return to posts index

Brian JonesRe: Dynamics Question - Noobie, Again - Lo Siento :-(
by on Jul 2, 2004 at 4:58:38 am

Dynamics is seems like overkill for a needle into skin. Try using the proximal shader in the displacement of the skins texture or perhaps just PLA animation.

Return to posts index

Jim PayneRe: Dynamics Question - Noobie, Again - Lo Siento :-(
by on Jul 2, 2004 at 6:57:17 pm

I am currently using PLA. That is the problem. Move a set of points, or at best several polys, hit record, forward one frame, move the polys, hit record, forward one frame, ad nauseam.....

I was hoping to be able to create a dynamic solver between the two objects, as I already have the animation path for the needle worked out, that way, as the needle rotates it should force the skin slightly out of the way, no? It is just that I am too new to Dynamics to make this work yet. Or to know if it is even possible. Just knowing that would help, at least then I could commit to one path or the other. As of last night, I decided to go with what I do know and plod along with the brute force tactics of PLA. :-(

I keep thinking though, there’s got to be a better way!!!!

Thanks for your advice.

JP

Return to posts index

Jim PayneRe: Dynamics Question - Noobie, Again - Lo Siento :-(
by on Jul 2, 2004 at 8:21:22 pm

I’m trying the displacement map, but I’m stuck. First off, since you can’t see it until it is rendered, how do you line it up with the animation. And then if you do happen to get it lined up with the needle, how do you make it travel along the skin surface with the needle?

JP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]