Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Highlight tool

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
SunnyCHighlight tool
by on Aug 28, 2001 at 3:43:07 am

Hi all,

Coming from a Max background there are a couple of very useful tools that I've taken for granted, and having crossed over to C4D I'm missing them very much. One such tool is called the 'highlight' tool.
You have your light selected, then click the highlight tool a click the face of the object you'd like to see a highlight on. It's hard to describe but imagine you got a flat metal surface. Your lighting scenario does not allow you to change the position of your light but you're not getting any specular light shining on the surface. When you use the highlight tool, it will position the light perpendicular to the surface normal so that in your view, there'd be a shine on the material. The only way to do this without such a tool is to move your light around until you see a glare/shine on the material. That could take forever to do. It does wonders for glass, water and metal.

If anyone knows what I'm babbling about and knows of a plugin or button in XL7 could you please let me know. Thanks.

SunnyC

Return to posts index

Mark SimpsonRe: Highlight tool
by on Aug 28, 2001 at 3:53:58 am

Couldn't you create another light and just move that around? That way you wouldn't disturb your current lighting set up.

Sounds like a cool feature though. I could've used it earlier today.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

SunnyCRe: Highlight tool
by on Aug 28, 2001 at 3:57:26 am

Without such a tool, that's what I'd have to do. It's such a trial an error way of doing things. The highlight tool is so easy an effective. Believe, once you've used it, you wonder how you manager without it before.

SunnyC.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2001 at 4:02:10 am

Put in a request with Maxon. They have a special form on line for suggestions and things we'd like to see in future versions. Who knows, it could make it into XL at some point.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Aug 28, 2001 at 4:03:04 am

Yeah, I'm heading over to the Maxon site as we speak. Let's see if my two cents is worth anything to Maxon.

SunnyC

Return to posts index

David FarmerRe: Highlight tool
by on Aug 30, 2001 at 12:46:35 am

If such a tool existed for C4D it would ask itself how MAX's kid defined the distance from the surface point.?

darf

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2001 at 12:52:49 am

Hi David,
You speaketh in riddles. Are you hinting at considering implementing such a feature yourself, perhaps as part of BT? 8^)

Mark simpson

Return to posts index

David FarmerRe: Highlight tool
by on Aug 30, 2001 at 1:20:12 am

Not part of BT.

Was writing some tools as part of a demonstration file and some new things happened. Not sure what to do with them... Maybe they will see the light of day in the next few months.

Want to make the length of the vector from the surface to the light work the same way though, anyone?

darf

Return to posts index

by on Aug 30, 2001 at 1:20:01 am

Good Question. I have no idea how it determines how far away to place the light from the surface.

SunnyC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]