Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

Lightwave vs Cinema 4D

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert MosnerLightwave vs Cinema 4D
by on Oct 19, 2003 at 1:07:16 pm

Hello

I just saw a demo of Cinema 4D. Looks like a very impressive package. Currently I’m using Lightwave 7.5C and have not been to happy with the direction Newtek is going. Lightwave’s RLA file type and After Effects simply don’t work well. My question is what will I gain/lose if I make the switch to Cinema 4D? My other major concern is the price of $2400.00 for Cinema 4D. Any suggestion on what I can expect to pay as a bottom line price for the package. Do they offer any sort of competitive upgrade? If Maxon can’t beat that price I’ll be sticking with Lightwave.

Thanks

Bob M

Return to posts index

Adam PortnoyRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D
by on Oct 19, 2003 at 1:50:03 pm

First, aside from being a fantastic program, I can tell you that Cinema 4D integrates with After Effects better than any other package out there. I was battling Maya for days trying to get 3000 frames of camera data into AE. What a mess. With C4D it was a piece of cake (maybe not that easy but pretty darn close).

Yes, there are upgrade prices from other 3D packages. For XL it is $1395, for Studio which includes Dynamics and Bodypaint (I think), it is $1895. You can order the competitve upgrade right online. Look in the lower right on the ordering page of the package you are interested in.

Adam

Return to posts index

Bob GerberRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D
by on Oct 19, 2003 at 9:33:33 pm

I know how you feel. About this time last year I was tearing my hair out with 7.5b. I am about to list my entire LW/Worley rig on eBay because I was swept away with the power of Cinema 4D for the price. The After Effects point that Andy mentioned is nothing short of magic and, as far as I know, unique to the industry. That feature alone made C4D a Must Have for me.

About price, don't be scared off. In addition to competitive upgrades, look carefully at the available modules. The core C4D product is as good or better in many areas as LW 7.5 IMHO and it is quite reasonably priced. Pick and choose your add-on modules carefully and you don't have to buy them all at once. Of course you get a price break if you do, but sometimes the best price break is to pace your purchases.

The other idea with price is to look around at C4D resellers who can typically shave off some additional savings. Contact me offline and I will tell you who I deal with; I don't think commercials are appropriate here.

Good luck with your transition. You will not regret it.

Return to posts index

Jeff AndrewsRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D - or perhaps in harmony...
by on Oct 20, 2003 at 8:47:52 am

Another way to look at it is also to use the tools together. I am a long-time LightWave user whose LW8 has been on order for months, yet my favorite 3D/4D app right now is Cinema. But I don't see parting with my G2, Sasquatch, and VertiBevel host anytime soon. I like having an alternative when I run into a hitch. And Cinema and LightWave are probably two of the most compatible apps to use together. Natively, Cinema imports LightWave geometry and surface tagging very well. If that's not enough, the folks over at Greenbriar have a nice affordable import and export system available using their home-grown GMI format to go either way between Cinema and LightWave and vice-versa. The GMI stuff also preserves rigging and UV's and weight maps or morph maps or something along those lines. As you can tell, I haven't pushed that particular envelope, but it's there if I need it...
http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/

Then there's all the plug-ins and peripheral apps to consider that are compatible with both Cinema and LightWave. Some that I have are RealWave, DarkTree 2.0, messiah:studio, BodyPaint 3D, Xfrog 3.5, and all of the Dosche Design scene libraries. It turns out that Xfrog 4.0 and BodyPaint 2.0 are both designed to be integrated into Cinema R8.x, but even in its integrated mode, BodyPaint 2.0 still works with LightWave. And one of these days (supposedly pretty darn soon), Cinema will have an FBX plug-in to allow it to work with Kaydara's Motion Builder, so that will open yet another avenue of compatibility with LightWave.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios

Return to posts index

Bob GerberRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D - Let's Hear More About the Harmony part...
by on Oct 20, 2003 at 5:21:40 pm

Interesting points, Jeff. Maybe I won't rush to sell my LW rig after all. Can you elaborate a bit on those C4D hitches in which LW and (by extension from your comments) the Worley plugins like G2 were a help? It would certainly enlighten my thinking and, perhaps, illustrate some gaps for future C4D development. Thanks,

Bob Gerber
Gerber Grafix

Return to posts index

Jeff AndrewsRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D - Let's Hear More About the Harmony part...
by on Oct 20, 2003 at 5:37:26 pm

Hi Bob,

Well, I don't have specifics in mind per se, but there are plenty of times when I hit a wall when modeling. There'll be some operation I'll want to do at a certain point in the modeling process that just won't be available in the particular app I'm using, be it Cinema, LightWave, Rhino, whatever. It's always nice to be able to deal with it in another app that does have the desired functionality. VertiBevel for example is a wonderful plug-in that I wish were available for all 3D modeling apps. But of course, that's not the case. So when I want that functionality, I'm LightWave bound whether I like it or not. I don't have Joe Alter's Shave, but I do own the full Sasquatch, so when I need stuff like hair, I'm back in LightWave once again. And G2 is well... ...G2. You sound like you might own it also, in which case you probably already know its incredible capabilities. I've never experienced a better environment for setting up scene lighting. Not to mention its sub-surface scattering abilities and more. I'd love to see G2 for Cinema, but that seems highly unlikely. I've never heard Steve mention developing for anything except LightWave (well at least not since the early days when we were both using Impulse's Imagine - he wrote the book on that one, literally). BTW, Paul Everett's Sniper Pro is a great sort of mini-G2/Viper for Cinema. It certainly isn't as broad as G2, but it does give a nice quick post-processed render preview and it only costs about a tenth of what G2 costs.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios

Return to posts index

Bob GerberRe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D - Let's Hear More About the Harmony part...
by on Oct 21, 2003 at 3:37:40 am

Thanks, Jeff. I see your point. I think I will wait awhile before I sell the diversity which I currently own. Bob

Return to posts index

yoshiTARe: Lightwave vs Cinema 4D - Let's Hear More About the Harmony part...
by on Oct 21, 2003 at 9:32:56 pm

LW's drill function is just one of the many things i constantly miss in C4D...or the ability to simply hit "symmetry" in point mode for instant mirror-modeling. Or just quickly put up a volume cage when deforming...so much better than C4Ds FFDs. There are some very nifty modeling tools in LW no doubt. I just wish the fileswapping was a little easier.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]