Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAXON CINEMA 4D:Cinema 4D ForumCinema 4D TutorialsCinema 4D TagAdobe After Effects Forum

360° projection sequence

COW Forums : Cinema 4D

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jakob360° projection sequence
by on Jun 14, 2003 at 10:14:58 pm

is there a chance to render a sequence of qtvr 360° images with camera movement? there must be an easier way to produce the 360° projection. in bryce you can animate the camera and render as 360° projection movie or sequence pics. in c4d you can only render one 360° projection pic.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 14, 2003 at 11:16:47 pm

You already got about 10 answers to this question on PF. I really don't know what you're after if none of those sufficed (excepting the rude ones of course).

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

*Remember: Tues. is national Shoe Day. Wear shoes to show your support for bimetalism and the designated hitter rule!*

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 15, 2003 at 10:13:05 am

i am still not satisfyed by the answers and i hoped that someone comes up with a solution that is acceptable. may be c4d is just not the solution. but i realy wonder that even bryce can render easely 360° sequnces, but c4d cant. and i also wonder why you can only render one damn 360° image and not a sequence. should be easy to solve that problem in an update, no? guess its not worth it.
anyway thank you adam.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 15, 2003 at 2:46:45 pm

What exactly do yo mean by "360 sequence"? Do you mean a panoramic image?

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

*Remember: Tues. is national Shoe Day. Wear shoes to show your support for bimetalism and the designated hitter rule!*

Return to posts index

Mark SimpsonRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 15, 2003 at 2:55:47 pm

I'm not understanding what it is you want jakob,

The QTVR file format reqires it to be a single image as far as I know. That's what QT QTVR player understands. It's one large image set up so that the ends are seamless (if you set the camera to rotate 360 degrees) and you are allowed to pan across it.

As far as the camera goes, you just create one and place it in your scene. Select it as the active camera in your view window. Adjust the camera settings, and then go to the render settings and set up the qtvr shot. You can tell the camera to rotate 360 degrees there.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

JoelDRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 15, 2003 at 4:28:10 pm

I'm confused as well. i think what he's trying to do is create an emmersive experience for the viewer using 9 screens that wrap around the viewer like in a video game arcade. So, if you are driving down a virtual road you can look ahead and also look to the left and right and above as you drive. I dont think Bryce can do this, but if it does, I'd like to see an example.

I guess I would set up 9 cameras angled apporopriately and attach them all to a moving null and render out the same sequence as seen through all cameras. Perhaps cinema 4d isnt the solution. You can export your models and bring them into Bryce if its true that Bryce does this. (frankly I dont understand how a 360º animation other than one that uses a stationary camera could work).

Can you show us a clearer example?

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 15, 2003 at 7:09:29 pm

sorry if i am confusing. i placed a small example on my idisk.
go to http://homepage.mac.com/jlist/

jakob

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2003 at 3:41:56 am

Okay, I looked at the example and I'm not sure what I'm seeing. It seems to be a panorama but the object in the middle oscillates a little. Confused.

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

Return to posts index

Mark SimpsonRe: 360° projection sequence (QTVR movie in message)
by on Jun 16, 2003 at 5:57:58 am

I looked at it too, and Quicktime is not interpreting it as a QTVR movie. I don't know what it is. Weird!

Here's a movie I did using Cinemas QTVR exporter. If you download it and open it in Quicktime, then look in the properties window (control>J), you'll see it is listed as a QTVR Panorama file. If you open Jakobs file in QT and check the properties it doesn't list it as A VR movie at all.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2003 at 6:02:00 am

Well that's odd. It displayed the movie in the message when I previewed the message, but not when I actiually posted it. Strange.

Here's a direct link to the movie.

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence (QTVR movie in message)
by on Jun 16, 2003 at 7:39:29 am

nice qtvr. i do know how to produce a qtvr. what my movie shows is a moving 360° camera and that is what i want to render out of c4d. no interactivity just more than one qtvr pic we want hundreds of them and just the pictures not the interaction.
we want to project in a circle.

thanks again, jakob

Return to posts index

by on Jun 16, 2003 at 1:25:47 pm

If I understand what you're asking, then you're confusing us by using the term QTVR. I think you don't want a QTVR movie, but a regular QT movie of a surrounding scene as if a person were holding a camcorder, and rotating in a 360 degree circle. Only you want the output in single images, not a unified movie.

Simply set up a camera in your scene (object>scene>camera), and then set two keyframes over time to cause the camera to rotate on the H axis. For instance the first keyframe would be 0˚, and the second would be 360˚.

Then in the render settings, go to the output page, and choose all frames (or a range of frames). Then go to the save page, and choose a file path for the stills to be output to (I suggest creating a new folder for this), and choose the output format (TIFF, TARGA, JPEG, RLA, etc.).

When naming the output file during the choosing of the file path, use a short file name, as Cinema will be adding a multidigit number to each still it produces.

Now when you render, Cinema should create a sequentially numbered still image in the format you chose in the folder you created.

You can view this as a movie by loading the image sequence in QT as such or any other app that supports image sequences. Or you can use the individual stills as you would any other still image.

IF you want to reduce the number of stills generated and thus increase the amount of rotation between stills/frames, just decrease the output/project frame rate.

If this is not what you're trying to do, then I have no clue what you want.... B)

Mark Simpson

Return to posts index

lee davidRe: 360° projection sequence (QTVR movie in message)
by on Jun 18, 2003 at 7:41:13 am

Adam
I am sorry to say this but I think you are missing the point.
Would you try to stitch an animated tiff sequence together that was rendered from 8-12 cameras (to make a good panorama you need more) , and there is no guaranty that the stitches would result in a smooth transition between frames...

jakob".... i am not interested in stitching or interactivity.
all i want, to make it clear, is a 360° camera moving around in 3d space"

jakob" ....we want to project in a circle. "

How are you achieving this ?
If you are using multiple projectors on multiple screens then you could use the multi camera approach. Each camera would represent each projector.

This Panoramic camera Is a good tool I have used images generated from Form Z in presentations.

Lee

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence (QTVR movie in message)
by on Jun 18, 2003 at 7:50:44 am

lee, you understand me, but not the solution we looking for.
its to complicated to deal with all these cameras. my little demo that i just rendered in bryce is so simple, just move the camera where you want and render one scene and its all captured in one sequence. i tried the 90° up camera against a mirror sphere and i think that could work.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: 360° projection sequence (QTVR movie in message)
by on Jun 18, 2003 at 12:38:45 pm

[lee david] "I am sorry to say this but I think you are missing the point.
Would you try to stitch an animated tiff sequence together that was rendered from 8-12 cameras (to make a good panorama you need more) , and there is no guaranty that the stitches would result in a smooth transition between frames... "

Ah okay, I missed the "moving in 3D space" part. For the record though, I wasn't suggesting stitching the results of multiple cameras, but frames rendered from one camera rotating about it's own axis. Also, depending upon the zoom settings you can generate a 360 pano from as few as 2 pics, but I don't know if that would work with the Cinema camera. But there's no limit to the number of framers you could generate in the rotation, so that wouldn't be an issue. It would be cumbersome, however, with a moving camera.

I don't see why using multiple cameras would be so difficult. Won't Jakob need a separate projector for each screen in any case, or will he be using some kind of 360 projector? If not, you would simply set up a circular array of cameras, each with a unique name, and do a multipass render with a separate pass for each camera. Put all the cameras under a null and animate the null. Load the animation from camera1 into projector1, the animation from camera2 into projector2, etc. I'm probably still missing the point though, as Jakob doesn't completely articulate the mechanics of what he's trying to do.

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

Return to posts index

lee davidRe: 360° projection sequence JUST TO CLARIFY ?
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 9:00:26 am

JUST TO CLARIFY ?

I think what you want to do is render an animation from a standing point with a 360 panoramic camera.
not rotate a camera around 360 and not a single qtvr image.
IS THAT RIGHT?
If so

There Is no Camera within C4D that acts like a panoramic camera, to my limited knowledge.

Lee

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence JUST TO CLARIFY ?
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 1:04:18 pm

yes thats what we want to do, you understand me! did i explain to strange?
but its not so easy to explain, if i did, sorry to all confused cows.
so there is no such posibility. but would be very nice feature.

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: 360° projection sequence JUST TO CLARIFY ?
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 2:05:53 pm

[jakob] "so there is no such posibility. but would be very nice feature. "
I suppose, but it would be trivial to render out a series of stills and assemble them in a panorama stitching program.

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

Return to posts index

jakobRe: 360° projection sequence JUST TO CLARIFY ?
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 2:50:19 pm

i am not interrseted in stitching or interactivity.
all i want, to make it clear, is a 360° camera moving around in 3d space and render as complete 360° coverige images. no stitching, no camera rotate, no qtvr, just plain 360° images (IMAGES), or sequence.

i am going to try it like this: camera facing 90° up looking on a chroma surface ball mirroring the complete scene. render the camera and use polar coordinates to make a panorama out of it. hopefully that works.

jakob

Return to posts index

Adam TrachtenbergRe: 360° projection sequence JUST TO CLARIFY ?
by on Jun 17, 2003 at 3:51:11 pm

[jakob] "i am not interrseted in stitching or interactivity. "

Looks like you're out of luck then. Any particular reason you won't try this method? It would take less than 5 minutes with a cheapo (or free probably) stitching program.

AdamT
Cinema 4DXL8 Bodypaint

Return to posts index

lee davidRe: 360° projection sequence
by on Jun 18, 2003 at 6:43:06 pm

Adam

I don't know how Jakob is projecting them, I suggested the multi camera bit in my last post but it seems that Jakob has a 360 projector or something so wants to produce single projections.

Jakob... I am interested to know what, and how you are doing what you are doing. ( excuse the bad English)

Adam, Have you used panoramic cameras in any other 3d program ?

Form Z has them and Bryce obviously has.

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]