Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
3DS MAX:3ds Max Forum3ds Max Tutorials3ds Max

3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes

COW Forums : Discreet 3DS Max

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
RUDY3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 16, 2002 at 2:43:18 pm

Why is it that when I select a material or bitmap to asign to a primitive object-the asign material to object button in the material editor becomes greyed out for some bitmaps but not others and for some materials and yet not others? This happens even when I have applied a uvw map to the object and checked generate mapping coordinates. If I could jump this hurdle Id be so gratefull.Note:Im working with 3ds max 4.2

Return to posts index

Greg LaCleRe: 3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 16, 2002 at 2:50:50 pm

There's an icon on the Material editor that's called "SHOW MAP IN VIEWPORT", it's an icon that looks like a Cube. If this is not on, the map will not show in the viewport. Also double check if your objects have UVmapping applied. let me know if this resolves your problem.

Greg

Greg LaClé
VisualAsylum Studios

Return to posts index

RUDYRe: 3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 16, 2002 at 2:56:28 pm

thanks ill get to it right this instant and let u know. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2002 at 3:02:22 pm

Wow its u greg. Its an honor. By the way I had emailed you.Uh-the answer is no I cant apply the material despite the fact that the show material in viewort button is active. This is what i did - i simply create a primitive cube then I check generate mapping coordinates then I go to material editor and get material(bryce canyon bitmap), then after having applied a uvw map modifier and depressed the show materail in viewport button- I attempt to apply but of course the apply material to object is now greyed out. However not with other materials. I just want to see how to apply that bryce map to the object.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2002 at 3:21:45 pm

have you tried this in another file? Sometimes crazy things happens in one file, like in the X-files....the unexplainable.
If you open a new file and try doing this, and it works fine in there, that could mean the other file has gone into the twilight zone.
Merge your stuff carefull to the new file, but be carefull, sometimes could be an object or something else that causes the problem. I have experience weird things a couple of times.

G

Greg LaClé
VisualAsylum Studios

Return to posts index

Grant GillRe: 3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 17, 2002 at 1:31:09 am

Rudy,

You cannot apply a bitmap directly to an object. You can only apply materials to objects.

What you have to do is start with a new material, then apply the bitmap to the diffuse slot, apply this material to the object.

This should solve your problem.

Grant Gill

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2002 at 11:29:45 am

Wo!Double WO! Eureka. Hey thanks. It wasnt so much about the need to apply the bitmap as it was about understanding. Im perfectionist and need to know.thank you so much and feel free to confer with me thru email as you choose.Thanks again impressive.I had applied the bitmap once but totally accidentally.If I may admit it the only other issue on my mind is making an object glow in the dark by controlling the diameter of the radiance and at the samt time having the room reflect a minimal lightting. Sort of like a candle that is almost out in a dark room.Just a thought. Take care.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 16, 2002 at 3:31:39 pm

negative. are u able to apply the bryce canyon map to a simple primitive?

Return to posts index

Steven WhiteleyRe: 3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 17, 2002 at 11:31:07 am

Grants right if this is what you're doing. I don't know what Greg means about the show map icon - this has nothing to do with the apply to object button. It seems to me you're steps are a bit strange and the easiest thing to do would be to post a scene zipped up, or you can mail me if you like and I'll take a look. If you're doing the steps below then all should be ok, if not then it could be corrupt.

1. Create the object and keep it selected. There's no need to check generate mapping (this will automatically be checked when you apply a bitmapped material) or to apply a uvw at this stage.

2. open the material editor and choose one of the slots. Select the diffuse slot and load in you map.

3. If the object is still selected then the assign material to selection should be active.

But as I say, lets take a look at the scene.

Steven Whiteley
Animator
Meridian Broadcasting

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2002 at 11:43:46 am

Wo.It worked.Wish you knew how much I appreciate conferring with you guys.I have an awesome imagination.The bitmap issue was just about understanding the mechanism.Thanks it worked. Stay in touch everyone feel free to give me any data.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2002 at 11:49:18 am

Grant and Steve thanks for coming to the rescue. I did not clearly understand the problem that he was having.

cheers,

Greg

Greg LaClé
VisualAsylum Studios

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2002 at 11:54:14 am

Hey thanks. Its all about makin stuff.muahahahahah

Return to posts index

Steven WhiteleyRe: 3ds max assign material to object button greyed out sometimes
by on Oct 17, 2002 at 1:09:00 pm

Rudy, you might save yourself future problems by doing the tutorials that come with max :) - just an idea, since it was a basic step you'd not understood which was getting you in a mess.

I haven't done a tut since R1 but the ones that came with that were very good.

Steven Whiteley
Animator
Meridian Broadcasting

Return to posts index

by on Oct 17, 2002 at 1:23:53 pm

Thanks.Just so dam eager.Its hit and miss at this point although I made a fairly impressive extraplanetary landcape today.One image a day.Cya off to care for humanity.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]