Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
BUSINESS AND MARKETING:Business and Marketing ForumBusiness and Marketing ArticlesBusiness and Marketing Podcasts

Music Libraries

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg BallMusic Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 6:14:18 pm

How do you folks provide music on your productions? As I'm just starting out on my own, I'm looking for options a adding needledrops to shows, without having to buy a music library. My hope is to find one that I can download music off of the net to use. Hopefully one that allows me to get client approval before I spend the cash. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 6:49:28 pm

The most cost-effective and easy to use solution that I know of is SmartSound which you can learn about at smartsound.com

It's royalty free but you do have to buy the libraries.

You may want to do a Google.com search to see if there are any free production music sites. I have never heard of any but I don't doubt that they are there. I have seen composers willing to give their rights to small producers just to see/hear their work used. But be careful that it is not a site stealing others work and giving it away or you could find yourself in some deep doo doo.

The best always,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Greg BallRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 7:53:49 pm

Thanks Ron,
Perhaps I didn't express myself clearly. I'm used to owning libraries as part of a corporate in-house department, now as I go out on my own, I'm looking for resources where I can sample music cuts on line, pick what I'd like to use in a show, and pay for that cut, without having to purchase a library for $3,000.
I would never use any music without permission! Any thoughts?
Or has anyone had any luck with an inexpensive library?

Return to posts index

bob bonniolRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 8:45:02 pm

Greg,

We've just started using the sound collection from firstcom.com

REALLY killer tracks, all actual musicians, not the same old loop stuff you sometimes get. Excellent quality, and all the songs come with multi minute, ;30, ;10, bumper versions, plus DVD-Rs with all the individual components so you can alter your mixes.

They send you the whole collection, you pay when you use (price depending on end-use).

We're really pleased, and so are our clients that are beginning to taste the flavor.

Check them out...

Best,
Bob Bonniol

Return to posts index

jeditdvRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 30, 2002 at 2:39:38 pm

Go to Ebay and do a search for "Royalty Free Music". Find the "Movie Mania" sets being sold by Elite Video. You can get 24 to 26 CDs of music for around $300. Or, you can go directly to their website and spend twice that much on the same CDs.

Return to posts index

MazurooRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 9:42:57 pm

Greg,

Are you talking about using popular music at live events? If you are, ASCAP/BMI handles the areas of live playback and performance (they charge by how many people are in the audience), while you need to contact the publishers of the music (which can be a pain in the butt) if you are going to lay that music to tape or NLE.

The minimum ASCAP charge is about $450, that will cover up to @850 people.

I am not aware of music collections for live use, I have always used them in conjuntion with TV/Film work, works that get broadcasted and duplicated, but i am sure you could pay the composers to play it live.

I have been to plenty of live shows (fashion, corporate, etc) that just play cd's, they never really worry about paying ASCAP because, in theory, no one is paying to get in.

I would be very interested in hearing what other people had to say about this issue.

toodles

-tm

Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive...

Return to posts index

Timothy AllenRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 29, 2002 at 10:07:35 pm

Check out videohelper's music library. They offer needledrop & blanket prices. I've heard them on every major network, but they are still fresh.

http://www.videohelper.com/flash/index.cfm

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 30, 2002 at 6:02:16 pm

I like MusicBakery, and StudioCutz. I believe you can buy individual tracks, even download MP3's, or buy single CD sets. I really like StudioCutz. And both are reasonable.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Kristen MaxwellRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 30, 2002 at 9:16:40 pm

If you don't mind composing in Sonic Foundry ACID, they have a "loops on demand" service that you can learn more about at their website They let you listen to samples and then pay per download, i believe, but there may be a subscription fee as well... i'm not sure.

Return to posts index

James DiefenderferRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 30, 2002 at 11:14:55 pm

Try 615music.com

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 31, 2002 at 11:11:41 am

Killer Tracks has several, very large libraries. Of the ones we have, Atmosphere has 157 (or more) CDs, NJJ has 67 (or more), Killer Tracks is now in excess of 150 discs, Killer Edge has 63 (or more) and the Match is also fairly large. There is a huge variety of styles and types within each of these libraries.

The disks are not sold, you don't technically "own" them even though you physically have them. (Read the contract.) Instead you license the use of tracks and pay based on the type of use. Killer provided us with the libraries for a guarantee of (I believe, if memory doesn't fail me) $600 in the first year. But I'm pretty sure that they have other deals including annual contracts.

I like Killer. My clients have been very satisfied.

Return to posts index

Steve VandergriffRe: Music Libraries
by on Jul 31, 2002 at 3:47:48 pm

Killer Tracks
Firstcom
OGM
Network
Sounddogs

I have worked for production houses that have licensed all of these; each one has their strengths/weaknesses. They all get much more reasonable if you're willing to buy a blanket license to a particular library. Depending upon the size/scope of your company, you may find a blanket license costs less than a grand annually.

-Steve Vandergriff

Return to posts index

MazurooRe: Music Libraries
by on Aug 2, 2002 at 5:50:34 pm

I have just been in contact with the Firstcom people, and I must say, what a huge collection! They have hundreds and hundreds of CD's; for a realtively cheap annual fee ($4000) you have blanket rights to use the songs as many times as you want. You get 90 CD's, with the ablilty to exchange 50% of your collection over 3 years. Good Times.

-tm

Mime is money!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]