Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
WEB:Web Design Forum- TutorialsDreamweaver Forum- TutorialsFlash Forum- TutorialsWeb Streaming

I need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)

COW Forums : Web Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael MunkittrickI need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 7:55:01 pm

Someone please go to My Website and help me figure out why my Flash page won't close correctly. I have the correct code in the movie, but my assumption is that it has to be in a specific place. This is where I have to say, "I'M LOST!" (really loud).

Please offer help and possible solutions as I'm fresh out of ideas.

Michael Munkittrick

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: I need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 8:05:51 pm

hello...

what code do you have in your flash movie? if you want the window to close, you should probably have something like "javascript:self.close()" (or "top.close()" if there's a frameset) - is that what you have?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: I need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 8:16:52 pm

Man, you guys must never sleep....

Curtis,

My actual code is attached to an "EXIT" button in the lower right corner as an action script. Its contents are as follows:

("javascript:Spiral.close")

The full-screen SWF/HTML is titled "Spiral" and I figured that it was better to address it directly with the title. Do you think self.close is better?

Bottom line, it won't close the window and I can't figure out how to get it to work. Your help is a God-send.

Michael

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: I need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 8:23:45 pm

hello...

ya - i always use "self.close()", or "top.close()" if the link is in a frameset and you want to close the top level page - technically top.close() would work for either (as if it's not in a frameset then self is top), but that's just an old habit from doing this too long...

does it work if you do "self.close()"?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: I need a little help......Please....(begging, begging)
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 9:19:25 pm

Unfortunately, it does not work with either self.close or top.close.

I gotta' say, I'm really rethinking the whole full-screen thing at this point. Ultimately, I'd like to upload my own browser interface and add sound controls and a search engine within the browser window, but if I can't get the window to close, I think I'll just end up pissing people off. Any further ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Note to self......
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 9:24:44 pm

In the future, make sure you have no spaces in the space between the quotations......duh!!!!

Good God man.......

Thanks a lot Curtis. I never would've seen it had it not been for the top close thing.

Michael

PS - Now it closes with top.close or self.close or Spiral.close.....go figure!

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Note to self......
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 9:36:11 pm

hello...

glad you got it working!

one other usability thing - i really like the flash presentation, but it can take a while to load (i'm working remotely and am on dialup)...i will get the black screen right away, but then i get nothing for a while, and there's no indication that something is loading. plus, since the fullscreen covers my task bar (in windows), i can't see my network connection status, so i can't tell if anything is coming across the network...

just noting that for ya - if you anticipate some dialup users in your target audience, perhaps a "please wait/loading" script is in order?

sitruc

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: More help.....
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 11:16:48 pm

Never thought about the dial-upers. I too am on a slower dual ISDN connection, but it loads in about 20 seconds. Is there a way to add a preloader without disturbing the entire thing? I don't need a fancy progress bar, just a big "Hey, it's coming already!"......do you have something tossed together that I could just stick in place for the 56kers?

Thanks,

Michael

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: More help.....
by on Mar 21, 2002 at 11:24:20 pm

hello...

well - i don't have something available like that, but it is pretty easy to whip one up - i assume you're using flash (as opposed to livemotion)? if so, here's a tutorial on how to do this:

http://www.iboost.com/build/software/flash/preload/10007.htm

you can get as simple or as crazy as you like on the little animation - i'm sure you've seen the range online these days... :-)

sitruc

ps. - if you're using livemotion, you can find out how to do a "wait for download" in the help files - it's _super_ easy to do in lm...

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: More help.....
by on Mar 22, 2002 at 2:06:53 am

I'll give this a try. I never thought of the preloader as a graph, but it looks pretty nice. I can't stand the "status-bar" type that keep showing the percetage of download. While it is conveinient, it is a constant reminder of how slow my connection is.

Michael

PS - BTW, what do you think of the site? I know there is a lack of pictures, but they are coming. I am writing the rollover action so that you can see stills of our work in "flip-book" mode or a few larger frames. Let me know....

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: More help.....
by on Mar 22, 2002 at 4:38:59 am

hello...

i like the little animation that happens when i click a link - a few other general comments (since you asked):

- it seems a bit large (file size) for what's happening - any reason that you know of?

- the "hey it's loading" is key - i sat for over a minute waiting for it to load on my remote laptop, and i guarantee you that a blank window that takes over the user's computer and does nothing for anyting more than about 5 seconds is really going to annoy a lot of people. the fullscreen is a nice way to present things, but people often don't like having all of the control taken away from them. also consider that if the user doesn't know about alt-tab or ctrl-w to close the window, then they will have no idea how to get out of your new fullscreen window until your movie loads...and i know they won't be happy about that... :-)

- the fonts were a tad bland in the movie - or is it in a working phase? i'm a typeface kinda guy though, and i know it's not a big issue to a lot of other people...

- noticed that your links sites open in the same window - you'd probably want to have them open in a new window so that your site stays in the bg...

- maybe add a "click here to start" kinda link to the first splash page...it's dangerous to assume that users will think to click on the logo to start the screen...

just my $.02 - i hope i don't seem overtly critical or anything...personally if i ask people for opinions i want honesty, so i usually try to return the favor to others... :-)

let us know if you do any updates - i'd like to follow the development!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: Excellent....
by on Mar 22, 2002 at 4:54:57 am

Curtis, you sir, are the man. I appreciate your insight. You will be happy to know that most of what you recommend I intend to accomplish. The typeface thing, well, I have a lot of near-blind clients.....but who knows, even that is up for revision. Overall, it is a work in progress, but I'd like to think I'm getting close to finished.

The "click-here to start" idea got nixxed after I figured out that the entire page could be turned into a button (doin' it tomorrow) so that should help with the possibiliy that it might get overlooked.

The size of the file is big 'cause I had to load the 3D from Swift3D and it was enourmous....OK, really big with lots of geometry. And even with significant compression, it hasn't reduced the overall filesize.

New window for "LINKS"....you aren't kiddin'. This is one of the things I'm working on. (Although one of my clients wants to know if they can route everyone through my site now to get the effect.). Maybe you could offer advice on the most effective way to open a new window without a lot of JAVA?

:::::;:ONE FINAL QUESTION:::::::

How do I get the "home page" image to change to a "thanks for stopping by" kinda' thing? Should I have it automatically load upon clicking to open the Flash site? Is it possible to assign multiple actions to a rollover AND have the site open full-screen?

Thanks again Curtis....

Michael

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Excellent....
by on Mar 22, 2002 at 5:15:31 am

hello...

>> The "click-here to start" idea got nixxed after I figured out that the entire page could be turned into a button (doin' it tomorrow) so that should help with the possibiliy that it might get overlooked. <<

i think that's still giving people too much credit - i do a lot of work with ui design in both web and desktop apps, and one thing i've learned is that you should never assume people will do anything...so in your case, try to imagine how someone would react to your site if they didn't know what to look for. you know that there's a whole site that will kick in if you click on the logo (or anywhere for that matter), and then you know that the movie is loading, so you wait...the average user won't know these things, and while a lot of those damn kids out there today (insert image of me shaking my fist at them from my porch) will likely find what you have to offer by clicking, a hiring manager or a hr rep or the like who is visiting your site might not find that out...and who would you rather have visit your site? :-)

>> Maybe you could offer advice on the most effective way to open a new window without a lot of JAVA? <<

don't even need javascript for this one - in flash, there's a "window" param when you do a getURL action - put the value "_blank" (w/o the quotes) in there and each click on that link will open it in a new window...

>> How do I get the "home page" image to change to a "thanks for stopping by" kinda' thing? Should I have it automatically load upon clicking to open the Flash site? Is it possible to assign multiple actions to a rollover AND have the site open full-screen? <<

yup - so using your site's example, you have the launchwin() function - i've added in the redirect part:

function launchwin() {

newwin = window.open("Spiral.html","FullScreen","fullscreen=1, scrollbars=1");

newwin.resizeBy(17,0);

// redirect the current page

document.location.href = "[WHATEVER_URL]";

}

and then your new window will open and the splash page will redirect itself to whatever url you provide - it can either be a relative or absolute url...

make sense? if you have any other specific questions, go ahead and start a new thread for them - no point burying them in this one... :-)

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]