Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

HD road Show Review

COW Forums : Leitch dpsVelocity

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
mike harperHD road Show Review
by on Sep 30, 2004 at 5:02:20 am

Just came back from the altitude road show- here in Atlanta Ga,
summary :
!!! RUN DO NOT WALK TO THE SHOW!!!

The demo guy gave a great demo of altitude.lots of new features, i found the most impressive was the real time color correction.Full key frameable color correction:looks great on the HD footage.

Also the NEW key frame window is great. REAL TIME manipulation of beziar curves of any parameter!

Which ties into the NEW interactive editing features.Generally everything is in real time!! you can play clips and make trims, edits, import footage you name it .... all at the same time!!! after the demo i gave it a test drive. I couldn't crash it if i wanted to! I was flying around MULTIPLE HD shots and making real time trims, edits, bezier curve changes IT AMAZING!

Also we now have a REAL RIPPLE mode. which allows you to ripple edits like avid / discreet edit.

and for those on the HD/SD fence consider this: IN SD mode, the card is capable of 4 alpha video tracks!! AND 8 VIDEO TRACKS in real time!! and that's not including graphic tracks! speaking of in HD mode the card does have real time crawls and rolls.

and finally we have major audio improvements including VST plug ins, software routing , and visual mixer tracks for all virtual tracks.

the digital fusion artist demoed the NEW FUSION version 5. which BTW as a ex- discreet user I can now say this is about as close to a Flint as you can get!! minus about 80 grand!

the new version 5 includes: open gl, true 3d improved workflow enhancements advanced scripting and much more.
and they are giving away big prizes too! each show a full version of DF and after the road show
a complete system
good days are here!
mike harper

Return to posts index

mYthprodRe: HD road Show Review
by on Sep 30, 2004 at 1:47:20 pm

Wow! That really sounds cool. Can you confirm the ability to lay to tape while still editing? Someone over at dpsedits mentioned that.

Also, 8 tracks of video is very cool. Are they using the computer's resources to get that extra 4 or is it all on the Altitude?

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

* Build Your Own VelocityQ. See how * :
http://www.customflix.com/Store/ShowTtl.jsp?id=205835

Return to posts index

mike harperRe: HD road Show Review
by on Sep 30, 2004 at 4:40:36 pm

[mYthprod] "Wow! That really sounds cool. Can you confirm the ability to lay to tape while still editing? Someone over at dpsedits mentioned that.

Also, 8 tracks of video is very cool. Are they using the computer's resources to get that extra 4 or is it all on the Altitude? "

yes! lets say you are printing to tape a hour show you can edit the backside as your printing.
all of the video resources are from the card.

mike

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2004 at 5:40:55 pm

So you can switch timelines while it's printing or you have to stay in the present timeline? That would be great if you could switch! Even better if you could switch jobs.

I hope some of these features make it to the Q! :-P

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2004 at 11:30:49 pm

[mYthprod] "So you can switch timelines while it's printing or you have to stay in the present timeline?"

dont know good question

Return to posts index

Andrei MihailescuRe: HD road Show Review
by on Sep 30, 2004 at 6:51:34 pm

Bah, doesn't it just rule to live outside the US. When do we get our own european road-show, hmmm, Leitch?

Thanks for the review, Mike. Did you get any whisper of info about upgrade pricing from VelocityQ and/or when will the Velocity 9 be released for us Quattrus users?

Did they change the DVE/layer compositing window to make it non-modal, or did they just add the new keyframe editor to it?

Cheers,
Andrei Mihailescu

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2004 at 7:02:13 pm

By the way, I just noticed that Leitch has uploaded the user manual for Version 9 (VelocityHD) to the website last week.

In case some of you missed it, you can find it here. Gives us some stuff to drool over while we wait for the upgrades...

Cheers,
Andrei Mihailescu

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2004 at 7:39:58 pm

Very cool, thanks Andrei. :-)

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 30, 2004 at 11:29:36 pm

[Andrei Mihailescu] "Thanks for the review, Mike. Did you get any whisper of info about upgrade pricing from VelocityQ and/or when will the Velocity 9 be released for us Quattrus users?

Did they change the DVE/layer compositing window to make it non-modal, or did they just add the new keyframe editor to it? "

from what i heard unofficially the v 9 for the Q won't be available for a while i can be wrong on this. maby soemcan ask at a upcoming show IE chicago!
lyn.
the fx window is new ( basically) it still has the icons but the timeline part is completly new and its non modal.
oh also for audio we now a have realtime sample level playback in icon view

Return to posts index

by on Oct 1, 2004 at 6:23:10 pm

The manual for Velocity9 talks pretty much in parallel about Altitude and Quattrus, so we can only hope that Version 9 for Q won't be too much delayed.

Btw., browsing the manual I noticed the new Color Corrector is not available at all for the Q. What's up with that!?! I mean, OK, maybe it would need to use a DVE channel or even not be real-time, but to not have it at all seems very nasty from the Leitch team - the ProcAmp is woefully inadequate, and while we can of course jump to DF for CC work, having the effect integrated right in the editing software would be a tremendous time saver imho.

Cheers,
Andrei Mihailescu

Return to posts index

drewRe: HD road Show Review
by on Oct 4, 2004 at 3:05:26 pm

I am guessing the answer isn't good news for me but, Does anyone know if the version 9 of velocity is going to be available for reality users, or is it just the Q?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 4, 2004 at 7:26:16 pm

[drew] "Does anyone know if the version 9 of velocity is going to be available for reality users, or is it just the Q? "

I'm afraid that everything we heard so far points to the fact that V9 is Quattrus/Altitude only (the manual isn't 100% consistent on this point, but on the other hand it never mentions Reality). Some people said that they expect that some of the bugfixes to be ported back to Velocity 8.2, but I guess this is up in the air...

Cheers,
Andrei Mihailescu

Return to posts index

by on Oct 5, 2004 at 1:50:14 pm

Without knowing anything secret I'm guessing their two camps of programmers are now going Q / Altitude instead of reality / Q like they used to. I doubt reality will get much at all in the way of updates unless something serious comes up.

That's my guess, I hope I'm wrong.

- mYthprod
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Will MoffittRe: HD road Show Review
by on Oct 7, 2004 at 4:32:03 am

I heard yesterday at the road show in LA that 9 will be for Altitude and Q only. It was a good show, by the way. And the Altitude kicks. $17,000 for the software/hardware complete package. $1000 off to Velocity users through the end of Oct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]