Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE DVD STUDIO:HomeDVD Studio ForumDVD Studio TutorialsFinal Cut Studio

seamless layer-break points?

COW Forums : Apple DVD Studio Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
haroldseamless layer-break points?
by on Jul 1, 2004 at 5:53:42 pm

does anyone know what exactly the seamless layer-break point option in DVDSP3 does? how does it relate to PTP vs. OTP? why does apple advise against using it except when needed? when is it needed? saddly the manual says little about what the option actually does on the spec level.

thanks,
h

Return to posts index

sacciRe: seamless layer-break points?
by on Jul 1, 2004 at 6:17:58 pm

Stay away from seamless like the plague. It is what caused all the layer break problems in the pass versions of DVDSP 2.

As far as PTP and OTP

OTP (opposite track path) is how you want everything that has a break in the middle of a video stream. It gives you the fastest layer break pause.

PTP (parallel track path) should only be used if you have a lot small segments and you know that the layer break will not be within a video track. May give you faster jumps from menu.

I always use OTP just safer since the shorter pause is what I'm more concerned about.

Return to posts index

haroldRe: seamless layer-break points?
by on Jul 1, 2004 at 7:02:55 pm

ok, so it is buggier than the tropics, but do you know what it actually _does_?

tx,
h

Return to posts index

sacciRe: seamless layer-break points?
by on Jul 1, 2004 at 8:16:05 pm

Within the DVD spec a layer break is a non-seamless command (there is a pause). So if the layer break falls within a video track there is a pause, anytime you have a full-length featue it is probably going to happen. I don't know the technical way it tries to do it but in theory it somehow makes it so the play with play through the break without the pause. However a lot of players did not like this and caused them to lock up totally or freeze for 15-30 seconds, which in my option is not seamless. :-)

There are others on the board that can give detailed info if they are up to it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]