Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Capture now w/AJA IO

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
EdCapture now w/AJA IO
by on Dec 8, 2004 at 8:29:06 am

I don't understand what is going on here. I asked a question and I feel I've been insulted by the moderator of this forum. How could you possibly use this program and capture now and not know about the escape switch. I first checked the archives like you are suppost to do and see if there is info there. Nothing that I haven't tried so I guess if the experts here don't know any solutions you get ignored or you get the answer I got, read the screen in front of you.

Return to posts index

EdRe: Capture now w/AJA IO (too many Eds in this forum)
by on Dec 8, 2004 at 3:11:46 pm

BTW, there are a couple of Eds in this forum. I'm going to have to start using a different name if this keeps up :-)
Ed (not the escape key Ed)

Return to posts index

chrispyRe: Capture now w/AJA IO (too many Eds in this forum)
by on Dec 8, 2004 at 3:37:16 pm

Ed, in FCP4, there is an issue with capture NOW with large hard disk volume. Basically FCP allocates all the available space to prepare for the NOW capture and then deallocates whatever space is unused when you hit the Escape key. How long it takes to finish really depends on how long the capture and how much space is in your hard disk.

I've done a 15min capture which took almost 45mins to finish the deallocation process. I was on the verge of forcing quit, which is the only way to kill it by the way, when it finished the process. You really have no idea how long it'll take...you just have to leave it alone and it'll finish at some point.

I don't know why Apple implemented this feature in FCP4 coz' it wasn't like this in FCP3. It's really silly and is a big issue for everyone...and I was totally disappointed that it wasn't fix in FCP HD. So basically you just have to avoid using capture NOW, for now. For Decklink and Cinewave users, the alternative is to use their respective standalone capture tool. Unfortunately you can't use that with Io coz' Io only "exist" within FCP for capturing.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Capture now w/AJA IO (too many Eds in this forum)
by on Dec 9, 2004 at 12:01:55 am

Ed, I believe your imagination has created a whole scenario that doesn't exist. I haven't ignored you or made fun of you, etc. You asked a question without giving us any of the details about your system, what versions, what were your sources and what settings you were using. I simply chose to ask a question hoping you'd expand on the problem and to possibly solve it quickly. We get a ton of new users here and my answer to you (in the form of a question) was the correct one based on what I had to go on. I had no way to know your level of experience or what you've tried already to resolve the issue.

Like every other forum leader here, I do not and cannot read/reply to every post. I do respond to as many as possible. All of the Cow leaders are doing this on a volunteer basis because we like to help people and giving something back to our industry. Almost all of the leaders are working professionals with hectic schedules. This means that most of us cannot be here every day and many of us miss weeks depending on what projects we are working on. However I am here most days (even if only for a few minutes) and I'm probably one of the top 4 or 5 most active leaders on the Cow. I hope you'll understand that I don't ignore users, but I cannot answer all their questions either. Frankly, I know sometimes I just plain get sidetracked and forget to answer or respond, but I'm doing my best. Keep in mind that I'm very active on many of the other Cow forums as well as this one.

In general, the more info you give and the more specific your questions are, the more responses you'll get from our great users. I know may long time Cow forum guru's don't respond to one line open ended questions as its just too time consuming and they'd only be guessing at the solutions without knowing more details.

Getting back to your "Capture Now" problem, I believe Chris's reply above was probably much more helpful and on target. I will add you might try limiting your Capture now setting to only a few minutes longer than the clip you are going to capture. That way you won't allocate the entire drive. Also, if you have Norton Anti virus software installed, remove it from your drives. If possible, don't use Capture Now, but instead log the clips and capture with deck control as it will avoid this problem altogether. I believe most of us log our clips and have controllable decks, thats why you haven't found many posts relating to this subject.

Hopefully, Apple resolves this issue in a future update. I actually haven't heard anything about it since FCP 4.5 HD came out, so I thought maybe it was resolved. I only use capture now on rare occasions for fairly short clips so its not something that I would notice immediately.

Good Luck and let us know if you find a better solution.

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 12:46:36 am

Ok, I stand corrected and Chrispy's answer was very welcome. About what system I have, it is listed in my profile which I thoughtwas there so you wouldn't have to write all that stuff out. So the bottom line here is you can't do live camera capturing with FCP and the IO. I'm going to have to call Rudy at AJA to tell him this which I'm surprised he didn't know of this issue in FCP.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 1:05:58 am

[Ed] "About what system I have, it is listed in my profile which I thoughtwas there so you wouldn't have to write all that stuff out."

Good point. So few users do fill out that info, that I often forget to even look. Instead they tend to put their system specs as a signature line in at the bottom.

[Ed] "So the bottom line here is you can't do live camera capturing with FCP and the IO. I'm going to have to call Rudy at AJA to tell him this which I'm surprised he didn't know of this issue in FCP."

I have no experience trying live camera capturing with the Io. I believe that if you search all of the FCP forums (2004 archives as well) that you'll find quite a few posts on the subject that may offer you some insight or possible workarounds. I know many people take the feed off of a deck so they have time-code and have the footage on tape as a backup. I would contact Rudy again so at least they are aware of the issue and can pass it along to Apple.

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 12:48:00 am

Thank you very much for your answer...Ed

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 12:50:18 am

I ment to say, Chrispy, Thank you very much for your answer...Ed.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 3:05:55 pm

No worries Ed...glad I can help. I'm equally frustrated with this capture NOW feature not working the way it should. Most of us log and capture clips with timecode but occasionally we do need to do some quick capture by rolling the tape and hitting the NOW button. If you do short capture it is usually ok if you set the capture limit to a few minutes but for your application where you need to capture live sources with unknown duration, it becomes tricky.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2004 at 6:12:48 pm

Now that everyone are friends again (group hug!), I won't change my name. :-)
Ed (the other one)

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2004 at 2:49:07 am

We can save the hug for NAB 2005...nah, maybe a beer would do :P

Tony...you think there'll be a Digital Cafe next NAB ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2004 at 6:47:52 am

[chrispy] "Tony...you think there'll be a Digital Cafe next NAB ? "

Yeah, I think so but I haven't heard for sure. ProMax is still in business and they are attending the tradeshows like usual. However, It won't quite be the same without Charles.

I've already booked my room and am looking forward to another great show this year. I think Apple may have a few more surprises for us. It just keeps getting better :-)

Tony!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2004 at 8:22:10 am

If I go this year I'll buy the beers if I can buy "Bud Ice"!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2004 at 9:39:01 am

Whatever Ed...a beer is a beer is a beer to me :P

Gosh...NAB is creeping up before we know it.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]