Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Anyone with experience with IO LA and powerbook?

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
PaulAnyone with experience with IO LA and powerbook?
by on Oct 26, 2004 at 10:20:25 pm

Is anyone using the IO LA with their powerbooks to do uncompressed video? If so what drives are you using? How is the system running?

Paul

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Anyone with experience with IO LA and powerbook?
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 11:10:19 pm

Paul, I haven't used it myself, except at the trade-shows, but here is AJA's recommendations for using your Io with a Powerbook:

"Although this configuration is not officially supported by Apple computer, AJA has found it to work as long as the following minimum system configuration exists. The PowerBook must be at least a 933Mhz G4 Processor with 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), and a 5400RPM internal drive. In regards to external Firewire storage: On a G4 powerbook, the FW400 and FW800 busses share the data bandwith, therefore we recommend installing a FireWire 800 PCMCIA (cardbus) adapter FW400 for your FireWire drive storage. The adapter we tested and recommend is by LaCie:

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10121

One FW800 drive is not quite fast enough for uncompressed; however it does work with the DV-25 or DV-50 compressed formats. For uncompressed, we recommend using two or more FW800 drives. Stripe the drives together using the OS X Disk Utility. Stripe the drives as: OS Extended (Not Journaled)."

Hope that helps a little…

Tony!

Return to posts index

Mark KrugerRe: Anyone with experience with IO LA and powerbook?
by on Oct 28, 2004 at 2:08:06 am

I've successfullly used one 7200 rpm disk for 8 bit uncompressed for short pieces (1-3 minutes), but stripping two drives off of the PCMCIA card is definitely the way to go. Although sometimes I would have to create a self-contained reference movie to output the final to tape without dropping frames. BTW, I am on a 1Ghz 17" Powerbook with 1G of Ram and 2 Hitachi 7200rpm drives.

Return to posts index

DickRe: Anyone with experience with IO LA and powerbook?
by on Nov 1, 2004 at 3:58:40 pm

You can use Medea G-RAID for the Uncompressed 10-bit or 8-bit.

PB15 1.5GHz + IO/LA (Sometime IO/LD) + G-RAID 500GB + Medea PCMCIA FW800 card.

Working !!! Great!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]