Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Mixing Codecs on same system

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
massachiMixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 26, 2004 at 5:46:24 pm

We used to work with a Cinewave card for uncompressed video. Then we switched to AJA Io. This led me to these questions:

1. Can you have other codecs installed on the same system when using the IO? I'd like to install the Avid Meridien and Cinewave codecs, but I'm worried about possible conflicts with the UN8 codec. I'm always wary of installing anything new on a system that basically works 100%.

2. Where can I find these codecs?

3. How do I install them? Are they easy to un-install if they end up causing problems?

My system:

Dual G4 1.42 GHz
1GB RAM
OS 10.3.4
FCP 4.5
QT Pro 6.5.1
Compressor 1.2
AJA Io with Driver v1.2 and Firmware Update v21-24
Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2 via SDI to/from DVW-A500
Xserve RAID

massachi

Return to posts index

Tom GreenbergRe: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 1:55:51 pm

I just had significant playback problems with my IO when the CineWave codec was installed. Removing the CineWave codec from the QuickTime Library directory solved the problem. It is easy to install/uninstall the codec, but it seems to be fundamentally incompatible with the IO. I don't have any experience with the Avid codecs. Hope this helps...

Tom

it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Return to posts index

massachiRe: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 3:16:25 pm

Tom,

Thanks for experimenting. Did you try to use the cinewave codec with the IO connected, but turned off? If that works, I could at least work with Cinewave sequences on the computer display only.

massachi

Return to posts index

Tom GreenbergRe: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 3:32:44 pm

No, I had a bunch of CineWave codec files that came to me on a FW drive...already-digitized from another facility...that I had to use in a program I was editing. I could access and edit them with no problem, but my IO suffered from stuttering playback. As soon as I removed the CineWave codec, the playback problems were resolved. I couldn't turn off the IO, because that was my primary system. I was working in DVCPRO50, so I had to re-render the clips to work in my timeline anyway...I didn't try to use them "as-is".

Tom

it seemed like a good idea at the time...

Return to posts index

DrTillRe: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 4:53:11 pm

here is a list of codecs that i have removed from my system, because one of them messed the IO up.
Even if my material was DV i would get dropped frames.

at some point i will try which one it was...

MP3.component
Aurora SoftCodecs.component
KinomaExporter.component
Sorenson Video Pro OSX.qtx
DC30Xact.component
FLV.component
AvidAVUICodec.component
AvidAVDJCodec.component
Blackmagic Codec.component
AvidAVdvCodec.component
3ivx D4 4.5.1 for OSX

so long
DrTill

Return to posts index

Tony!Re: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Oct 27, 2004 at 6:42:55 pm

Just to add my $02. I do run the Cinewave codecs (with a Cinewave card) and my Io at the same time with no problems (without the Cinewave card installed you may have issues). I also have installed the latest Avid, BlackMagic, MP3, Sorenson, Maya iff, Media 100, Toast, DivX and other codecs without problems. I don't recommend using that many at once as codecs can definately conflict, but it has been working fine for me through many jobs.

The codecs are located in your Startup drive > Library > QuickTime folder.

Tony!

Return to posts index

Timothy RasmussenRe: Mixing Codecs on same system
by on Nov 3, 2004 at 7:23:49 pm

Thought I'd throw in my experience here. I had the Accom Affinity Video Codec for OS X installed on my system and I was getting major playback problems even with DV footage on my IO LA. I pulled the codec out of the folder and presto! no more playback problems. If I ever need the codec for a render, I'll just drop it back in the folder and then pull it out again. No big deal.

I love the IO!

TimR><>

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]