Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
AJA:AJA io ForumAJA Kona ForumAJA Xena ForumAJA io TutorialsAJA Kona TutorialsAJA Xena TutorialsAJA

Rendered vs. Preview Luminance

COW Forums : AJA io

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Christoph BaadenRendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 8, 2004 at 7:54:05 pm

Hey Folks,

I just stomped someone from AJA with this question. I hope you guys can help.

Settings are: Apple G5 2.5, Kona Io, Kona HD, Capture SDI A-V 10bit with the Io, Video Playback Io 10bit Betacam525, Sequence set to 10bit, 720x486, Render 10bit, YUV high precision render.

Threw a 3-way color-corrector on the clip, only rendered half of the clip. Switching back between the rendered part and the unrendered preview (with the green bar) part, the luminance is significantly darker on the preview part of the clip. Once you render it, lumincance pops back to normal. That's not normal, isn't it?

If I am doing everything in 8bit (capture, sequence, render), there is no luminance difference between the rendered part and the unrendered preview.
What am I missing? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Christoph

Return to posts index

Michael GarberRe: Rendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 9, 2004 at 7:18:30 am

Are you viewing it on your NTSC monitor or on your computer monitor? On the computer side, there will be a luma shift. Let's just call it a very weird "feature."

If it's going out to the NTSC monitor, then I'd check your RT settings, perhaps. I have noticed very slight differences between RT 3-Way Color Correction and rendered color correction. It's never been enough to completely throw me off, but it does make a difference sometimes.

Good luck,
Michael

Return to posts index

Christoph BaadenRe: Rendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 9, 2004 at 7:25:05 am

Michael,

I only notice it on the NTSC monitor. And yes, I have also noticed minor changes in color between rendered and preview. I can live with that though.
My problem is a SIGNIFICANT brightness shift - the preview is much darker than the rendered clip.
I have already trashed POA cache and the FCP preferences. What would I have to change in the RT settings?

Thanks
Christoph

Return to posts index

Michael GarberRe: Rendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 9, 2004 at 7:38:16 am

If you are on a previous version of the driver, then make sure that wireframe is turned off. Otherwise, update to 1.3.1.

Return to posts index

Christoph BaadenRe: Rendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 9, 2004 at 7:42:00 am

I am on 1.3.1 and all overlays and wireframe are off.
Could the additional Kona HD card be the culprit? Or do I have to terminate anything on my monitor or Io?

Christoph

Return to posts index

Christoph BaadenGetting more bizarre...
by on Oct 9, 2004 at 10:22:25 pm

Ok,
once I turn the wireframe ON in the canvas (I know, I know, everyone tells me to turn it off) the brightness of the rendered and preview parts is the same (as it should be) once I PARK the playbar on it. But as soon as i start PLAYING the preview part, the luminance drops again...

Any idea?
A) Do I need a terminator?
B) I know I installed the 1.3.1 drivers but how can I check that they are really loaded? Where are they located?
C) Already trashed the POA cache and the FCP preferences!
D) All these problems happen in 10bit mode (capture, sequence, render) only. 8bit everything is fine!

Christoph

Return to posts index

Mitch IvesRe: Rendered vs. Preview Luminance
by on Oct 13, 2004 at 3:31:33 pm

We had this until the 1.3.1 patch, since we always have Image+Wireframe on. Fortunately, 1.3.1 fixed that. We also had random audio pops which turned out to be related to the excessive luminance. Using the Broadcast Safe filter on all clips (including titles) fixed the audio pops. The 1.3.1 patch seems to have fixed that as well... although time will tell I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]