Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
RED GIANT SOFTWARE:Red Giant TutorialsTrapcode TutorialsTrapcode ForumMagic Bullet ForumMagic Bullet TutorialsAE TutorialsAE Forum

PC vs Mac render times

COW Forums : Magic Bullet Suite

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gary TaylorPC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 12:39:04 am

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had any insight into differences in render times between the PC and Mac versions for MB with the lastest hardware on each platform.
Glad the forum has been added,
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Return to posts index

Steven GalvanoRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 1:21:08 am

There are claims that the Windows version is 2x faster, although I've yet to hear any confirmation testimonials.
I can only say -- I hope so, MB 1.0 is a snail.

I've always found AE slower on the Windows side, not to mention unstable -- so it will be interesting. If my next project is not shot in 24p, and the 2x claims are true, I may pick up a Windows box to serve as a render engine.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Michael MunkittrickRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 1:28:13 am

I can verrify that the PC version is nearly two times as fast as the Mac version when running a dual 1.25 Mac and a Dual 2.2 Athlon, but there wasn't much difference at all on the 2.0 Pentium based machine. Without Look Suite engaged they were all very, very close in render time, but all were still better looking that anything that you could create with CineLook and CineMotion.

Michael

Return to posts index

Steven GalvanoRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 1:53:15 am

Interesting.

My project is broken up into 5-7 min pieces, and it's taking from 15-22 hours each to render them on my DP 1.0. MB, Looksuite, (some) Opticals, and other effects such as Dissolve Factory are engaged.

Even though I'm without my primary workstation for a day at a time, the results I'm getting are absolutely spectacular.

MB needs to be worked. This is my 3rd major project on MB. The first rivaled Cinelook. This one rivals 16.

Return to posts index

Lance BachelderRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 2:33:16 am

I run a WinXP box with 2.53Ghz P4 with 1GB RAM. MB 24p output(no Look) takes about 3 sec. frame. 4 sec. frame for 30p with de-artifacting turned on. 5-6sec. total time per frame for 30p and just about any of the Looksuite presets. Dual CPU should be better - Mac or PC

Return to posts index

FutureXRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 3:42:00 am

I've used MB on both my DP 1GHz Mac and my dual AMD 2200 PC. Using just MB I got the same render times, slightly slower on the PC. When I check the CPU monitors on both machines it shows that MB is NOT really using both processors. On the Mac it bounces back and forth between processors and on the PC it will use one processor at about 85% and the other at about 15%. You can tell when a filter or plugin is coded for both processors, it will peg the meters for both procs.

I can't believe in this day and age that ALL new plugins and filters aren't written to take advantage of dual processors.

After the complaining, I LOVE MB. The render times I get on my Mac are a little over 1 hour per minute of footage. I did 3 45 minute projects which took about 55 hours to render. The render times were consistent.

FutureX

-----------------
DVx Productions
http://www.dvxproductions.com
Burbank CA

Return to posts index

Barend OnneweerRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 6:44:21 am

[Steven Galvano] "I've always found AE slower on the Windows side, not to mention unstable "

This probably has more to do with your specific system and setup, since AE is widely known to render faster on PC's than on Mac's at the moment, and definitely doesn't have to be unstable in a Win2k environment.

Not to start a platform war, we have a separate forum for that :-)

Bar3nd

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2003 at 6:47:16 am

Oh - and welcome of course Steven, to this cosy line-up :-)

Bar3nd

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2003 at 9:32:17 am

Agree - I've always found AE to be one of the most stable programs on either platform. I've run Mac's for years and my current favorite machine is running XP Pro - no stability problems in the least.

I would like to run MB on a new dual 1.42G4 Mac and see how fast it is. It would be sweet to dump all my Bulleted files off to Digibeta via a 10bit Decklink board.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2003 at 10:11:34 am

[Lance Bachelder] "I would like to run MB on a new dual 1.42G4 Mac and see how fast it is. It would be sweet to dump all my Bulleted files off to Digibeta via a 10bit Decklink board. "

I agree. Most of the material I get here is DV - but it's sort of sad to have to recompress to DV after succesfully removing most of the artefacts using Magic Bullet. I'm looking into building an IDE RAID 5 videoserver at the moment, and with an SDI board I could output to a rented DigiBeta. SDI output boards for PC's are already available around $1500 (Digital Voodoo / Bluefish444)

BTW, as far as I know you could use a PC to render to the BlackMagic codec for Decklink, and then output to tape using the Mac with Decklink board. You'd probably want a fast network connection between the two, but gigabit network adapters have come down in price a lot.

Bar3nd

Return to posts index

by on Mar 13, 2003 at 7:26:53 pm

The movie I'm rendering now is using the Bluefish codec (PC) and then will be moved to a FCP system in another facility with Voodoo to output to Digibeta. I'll be looking at NAB at all the solutions out there and hoping to do the Digi rental thing as needed. Most of the shows I cut are also DV but eventually get dubbed to digibeta for TV or home video.

Return to posts index

Tom BridgesRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 11:11:32 am

[Lance Bachelder] "It would be sweet to dump all my Bulleted files off to Digibeta via a 10bit Decklink board. "

This is precisely what we're doing! Works like a charm.

And, yes, we're thinking about getting a bunch of dual proc AMD boxs to act as a render farm. It's fairly painful at the moment ...

All the best,

Tom

split image media
http://www.split-image.co.uk

Return to posts index

Gary TaylorRe: PC vs Mac render times
by on Mar 13, 2003 at 11:43:38 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!
Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook