Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..

COW Forums : DVD Workshop, Ulead

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
J-P DesrochersWhat video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 1:45:44 pm

To avoid re-compressing (is-it possible anyway?) of a
clip loaded in DVDW2 while authoring to a final DVD,
what video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2?
-Plain AVI?, AVI DV?
-Separate mpeg2 video, AC-3 audio with same names?

Thanks,
JP

Return to posts index

Terry StetlerRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 4:18:23 pm

DV or any AVI will have to be transcoded to MPEG for inclusion on a DVD anyhow, so the real question is; should you encode externally or let DVDWS2 do it with its MainConcept encoding engine.

I personally export my content as DVD compliant MPEG with PCM (uncompressed) audio from my editor (MediaStudio Pro7 or the RT.X100's realtime encoder w/Premiere Pro). With MSPro7 it's a wash since it uses the same encoding engine DVDWS2 does. With the RT.X100's realtime Ligos Pro encoder things go very, very fast.

DVDWS2 detects these files as compliant and doesn't set itself up to encode the video, but since the PCM audio is huge I check DVDWS2's audio properties "convert to disc template" switch and then set the disc template to use Dolby Digital (AC3) audio.

This way all DVDWS2 does is encode tha uncompressed audio to Dolby Digital when it authors the disc, which is a very fast process. I've found that my playability complaints went down significantly when I switched from using MPEG audio to Dolby Digital.

That said if you have a very high quality encoder you prefer to use then encoding edited DV or AVI in it then passing those MPEG's to DVDWS2 is also an option, but be aware that DVDWS2's embedded MainConcept engine is very good (and very fast) if properly set up.

Terry Stetler

Chronic beta-tester

Return to posts index

J-P DesrochersRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 5:00:28 pm

Ok,
I'm using Vegas 5 to edit my AVI DV.
But prefer using DVDWS2 from DVDArchitect2 for authoring.
When you say:
"I personally export my content as DVD compliant MPEG with PCM (uncompressed) audio from my editor"
I assume it's one MPEG file with embeded video/audio right?
Or is it two separate files for video & audio?
Would ANY MainConcept engine compliant MPEG files
created with an editor would keep DVDWS2
from recompressing the video/audio?
Vegas5 has a lot of MainConcept render options..
Thanks

Return to posts index

George W.Re: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 14, 2004 at 8:06:42 pm

DWS2 will recognize compliant mpeg videos regardless of how they were created. As long as they meet the specifications for the type of disc you are creating, DWS2 can use them "asis" without re-encoding them. So it doesn't have to be a MainConcept Encoder...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Terry StetlerRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 15, 2004 at 1:57:22 am

Exactly, and it also doesn't care if you use already muxed or separate audio/video streams.

Terry Stetler

Chronic beta-tester

Return to posts index

J-P DesrochersRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 15, 2004 at 1:34:20 pm

Thanks so much for all your good infos.
We are lucky to have you.
JP

Return to posts index

FaryarRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 23, 2004 at 4:22:06 am

Gentlemen,
I am at a complete loss as how to bring in an mpg file into DSDW2 that
does not get re-encoded...having followed the directions ie not checking the convert to disc template.
I use the Canopus hardware mpeg encoder that creates a fairly decent looking
Mpeg2.
I would appreciate any guidance
faryar

Return to posts index

Malcolm DRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Dec 28, 2004 at 8:40:18 am

I use a Canopus MPEG Pro hardware encoder constantly without re-encoding.
Capture with the same system (PAL or NTSC) as your project. I use 4,5,6 or 8MB CBR with 224kHz MPEG audio in program stream. Import file in Edit screen to create thumbnail and drag to timeline. If you are an NTSC user you will need to create a template which has same parameters as your capture with Dolby audio otherwise any template will do. For NTSC Dolby check 'Convert to disc template' on the audio tab only. When you burn for NTSC only the audio will convert which is relatively quick but prone to audio sync problems. For PAL dont check 'Convert to disc template' on either tab. There will be some processing for a few minutes but not a full re-render which takes three hours.

Return to posts index

FaryarRe: What video format is the best to DVD Workshop 2..
by on Jan 5, 2005 at 2:04:44 am

Malcolm
Thank you
Happy New Year

Faryar

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]