Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
DVD AUTHORING:Forum- TutorialsEncore DVD Forum- TutorialsDVD Workshop, UleadDVDit, SonicApple DVD Forum- Tutorials

mpeg encoding size for importing!

COW Forums : DVD Workshop, Ulead

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
AstroNebulampeg encoding size for importing!
by on Aug 13, 2004 at 4:07:52 pm

Hello everyone PLEASE HELP! I have a DVD-9 disk I want to split onto two DVD-5's. DVDShrink just isn't cutting it in quality for this paticular movie. When split, the total size on one of these DVD-5's would be about 3.6 GB in (*.VOB) files. HOWEVER, I re-encode them to MPEG in TMPGEnc XPress v3.0 and now the total size of the files is about 5.3 GB (nearly 2x the size). How do I fix this most efficiently without needing to have like 4 DVD-5's for 1 DVD-9? Maybe one of the following?

1) Encode (*.VOB) files to MPEG in TMPGEnc at a variable bit rate (8000 kb/sec); import MPEG file (to big for a DVD) into DVDWS; then shrink the outputted files in DVDShrink (small enough to fit on a DVD). THen burn to disk.

2) Encode (*.VOB) files in TMPGEnc changing the DVD capcity from whatever it is (from usually around 130%; way to big to fit on a DVD) down to 100%. That in turn automatically adjusts the average bit rate and in this example, changing to 100% adjusts the bit rate down to around 6138 kb/sec. Hopefully, this would still leave room for menus and I can output this outputted MPEG (small enough to fit on a DVD) into DVDWS2. Then burn to disk.

Return to posts index

Frantic FranRe: mpeg encoding size for importing!
by on Aug 14, 2004 at 10:59:33 pm

Hi -- I just had a thought -- use the original settings of the source disk. If you have dvd decrypter or similar it should tell you the bitrate info (i.e. max bitrate, variable etc. & sound settings). Set TMPGEnc to use the same settings and then it should be indentical. But know I know what you are actually trying to do (convert 9 to 5)then I've found the best program to be Pinnacle Instant Copy. It automatically reconfigures the bitrate (if needbe) and gives you the option of removing other languages, subtitles, interactive, etc. which should reduce it enough, sometimes without resampling the bitrate. Cheers, Franc

Return to posts index

AstroNebulaRe: mpeg encoding size for importing!
by on Aug 14, 2004 at 11:16:29 pm

Can't do same setting though because it's too big to fit on one disk. I tried it applying the same settings in TMPGEnc then re-encoding to MPEG. Converting from VOB to MPEG made it 2x the size which explains why you had to use DVDShrink to compress it down to a size that would fit on one disk. Anyway, I decided that wouldn't be the best idea since that would be encoding the files twice (TMPGEnc XPress & DVDShrink). And once you import it into DVDWS and apply a template (unless you haven't selected the convert to template checkboxes) you're encoding it again! That's re-encoding the original file 3x. So I'm going to try option 2 and see if that works. Once I import into DVDWS I won't select the convert to template checkbox, that way it won't encode a second time. Hopefully that'll work. I'll let ya know!

That's why you have to re-encode in TMPGEnc XPress

Return to posts index

by on Aug 14, 2004 at 11:31:55 pm

Woops! Please omit last line on last post . . .

Fran, how did you create chapters for these MPEGS? In DVDWS? But don't you need DVDWS to re-encode the files to do that? Or how else do you do that. Re-encoding in DVDWS would be re-encoding 2x which means just to get chapters you have to re-encode this project 2x. Gotta be another way.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 26, 2004 at 7:56:05 pm

Hey Franc, what about 5-channel Dolby-Digital? From what I can see so far, re-encoding a 5-channel MPEG in TMPGEnc XPress only outputs 2-channel. This essentially throws-out 5-channel surround-sound. Is there a setting I don't see or something? What do you do about this. Furthermore, trying to convert 5 channel to 2 channel makes the outputted MPEG audio sound very distorted and obscured. I don't want all my re-authored DVD's to be only 2-channel Dolby Digital! No DTS, no 5.1? Ahh! Please help. Thank-you!

Return to posts index

by on Aug 27, 2004 at 3:26:11 pm

Ah! Never-mind! I figured it out. I simply de-muxed the video from the audio and inputed the audio in DVDWS on top of the TMPGEnc XPress re-encoded audio/video MPEG (replaced the audio track). This way, nothing happened to the audio and the outputted file was synchronized perfectly since the video was still re-encoded with XPress. You know what this means? You don't need the AC-3 plug-in AT ALL! By using the AC-3 plug-in you are re-encoding the audio and therefore converting DD 5.1 to 2 channel. Ugggh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]