Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

5.1 sound and G5 slots

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gary5.1 sound and G5 slots
by on Oct 12, 2004 at 6:32:39 am

sorry for cross posting this, but my goal is to edit HD and 5.1 sound using FCP HD.

I am close to getting a Mac G5 dual 2.5 with FCP HD and I have a couple of questions. What are people doing for mixing 5.1 surround sound using FCP? Do I need to add another card (what kind is good) since the Mac has only L/R outputs? If so, I think there are no extra slots after I add a Kona 2 or Declink, a fiber channel card for xserve and either the nvidia 6800 or the ati 9800 xt card. The video cards cause us to lose one pci slot being so large.

Gary

Return to posts index

Bart HarrisonRe: 5.1 sound and G5 slots
by on Oct 12, 2004 at 7:33:48 am

The Kona 2 has eight channels of AES and/or embedded digital out (5.1 only requires six). Unfortunately, you may find the tools in FCP lacking for a professional 5.1 audio mix. You could consider using an audio specific program like MOTU Digital Performer 4.5 to handle the audio mix after you've completed primary picture edit. You also might want to consider a dedicated piece of audio hardware like the MOTU 828mkII which connects to the computer via 1394 firewire (no PCI slot required).

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Bart Harrison
MPA - The HD Suite

America's VAR
TurnKey Editing Systems, Storage Area Networks
HD Consulting, Production & Post, Exhibition & Distribution
http://www.hdsuite.com
954-894-1221

Return to posts index

GaryRe: 5.1 sound and G5 slots
by on Oct 12, 2004 at 7:49:43 am

Thanx Bart. I wish FCP would address the mixer solution.

Gary

Return to posts index

kammRe: 5.1 sound and G5 slots
by on Oct 13, 2004 at 1:28:50 pm

I think you'd definitely better off with a Firewire-based pro-audio gear. Prices depends on quality, number of I/O channels etc but generally speaking all of these devices supported by several pro audi softwares - and FCP do support most of them via AU/VST/whatever plugin standard it use.

FYI: I just sold my ESI WaMi Rack 192X because its host card, unlike in case of my old G4, doesn't fit to G5's PCI slot - another reason to forget internal solutions... ;)

PS: I'm planning to buy this by the end of this year: http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm - kinda overkill solution but it's got everything! :)

Return to posts index

GaryRe: 5.1 sound and G5 slots
by on Oct 17, 2004 at 4:10:55 am

I just saw this post on another COW forum.

New ATI high-end graphics card only takes up one PCI slot

http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/14/ati/index.php

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]