Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Digital projection...

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
AlexDigital projection...
by on Aug 12, 2003 at 2:17:36 pm

I'm not sure if I should ask this here or in the specific forums... but what's going on with hi-def at film fests? Does a film shot on a Sony 900 play on the same hi-def player as a Varicam?

I know some of the big fests are doing digital (Cannes) as are some of the smaller dv fests (dvfest, digifest, etc.) but what about some of the mid majors (let me get out my NCAA brackets...)

I thought you might find this interesting. I looked at the top ten fests out of Gore's book (circa '91) and this is what I found (online) - beware, some of these sites were unavigable and I turned up results via press releases on search engines...

Fest Digital
--------------------------
Sundance YES
Toronto YES
Cannes YES, digital beta yes too
Berlin ?
SouthXSW Beta Yes, digital maybe? can't guarantee
Telluride YES
CIFF NO-Digibeta
Florida (as of 2002, NO)
Slamdance YES
CINEQUEST YES

Other notables with digital projection include LAIFF, Resfest (touring, yes?), London... and a bunch of other small ones...
I'm mostly wondering what your chances are if you stay digital ( skip the 35mm print ) and tour festivals hoping to get someone else to pay for your print.
- alex

Return to posts index

Bart HarrisonRe: Digital projection...
by on Aug 12, 2003 at 3:37:10 pm

[Alex] "Does a film shot on a Sony 900 play on the same hi-def player as a Varicam? "

...and does a film shot on DVCAM play on a Beta SP deck ? I think you have to determine what format the film was "mastered" on not what it was "shot" on to know what equipment it will play on. There's no "rocket science" here. If it was mastered on 1080i HDCAM that's what it'll play on. If it was mastered on D5 HD that's what it'll play on. Of course you can always make dubs to other formats.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Build `em right... support `em well... let our customers do the talking !"

Bart Harrison
Multimedia Programming America
The HD Suite

America's VAR
Apple, Shake, CineWave, AJA, & Rorke SAN
http://www.mpa.net

Return to posts index

AlexRe: Digital projection...
by on Aug 12, 2003 at 5:14:22 pm

Bart -

Right! Gotcha. I guess I've been reading these fest announcements and as they don't specify much, I wondered if the industry de-facto was Sony... I also wondered if anecdotally anyone could tell me if there was a bias on a digital project shot on anything less than Sony900 or anything shot on less than Hi-def... not sure if this is a big festival going crowd, but if anyone has any thoughts, please join in...

alex

Return to posts index

Bart HarrisonRe: Digital projection...
by on Aug 12, 2003 at 6:33:29 pm

Hi Alex,

I don't think it's safe "assume" anything. It would probably be best to check with each venue and find out what format/formats they specifically support. Remember 1080-24p is the universal mastering format. It can be dubbed/converted into just about anything else.

Bart

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Build `em right... support `em well... let our customers do the talking !"

Bart Harrison
Multimedia Programming America
The HD Suite

America's VAR
Apple, Shake, CineWave, AJA, & Rorke SAN
http://www.mpa.net

Return to posts index

David MullenRe: Digital projection...
by on Aug 13, 2003 at 1:24:44 am

I don't know about a bias against sub-HD material -- afterall, whether shot on 35mm or not, many festivals view submissions on VHS, so picture quality is not a major factor in picking the film for the festival. And the Best Cinematography Award at the Sundance Film Festival when to a DV-photographed feature for two years in a row.

Festivals vary in what format they want for digital projection -- some even claim they will do HD projection but in the last minute, cheap-out and go with betacam decks. I believe Sundance, for example, wants everything delivered to them in a 60i HDCAM tape for DLP projection, whether or not the original was shot in 24P HDCAM, or with the Varicam, or in DV. Other festivals just project Digital Betacam, whether or not you shot in HD. Some festivals get the decks donated, so you might have to bump the project over to HD-D5 instead of HDCAM, for example.

Just be prepared to make a dub to whatever format they need...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]