Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?

COW Forums : HD High-End

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Amos El-RoySo what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 2, 2003 at 5:22:12 am

The scoop is JVC is poised to come out with a press release this week regarding its new Pro-sumer HD camera, and it is pretty determined that MPEG-2 will be used as it's compression method.

As you probably know MPEG is an inter-frame compression method, which means that if you wanted to do editing in this format there would be no frame precission, making the format useless as far as professional editing is concerned.

Now the question is, are we guerilla filmakers going to just skip the opportunity to shoot HD material cheeply, or is somebody going to come up with a work-around?

I started playing with various ideas of dumping the MPEG-2 format into a middle ground HD format so that it can be then edited in the other format and dumped back to MPEG-2. Unfortunately it seems like non of it would really work without stepping it up to a real expenssive medium or downgrading the format. I'd be happy if some discussion of the possibilities for the low budget crowd took place here.

Return to posts index

Jiri VrozinaRe: So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 3, 2003 at 10:48:43 pm

Sony's SX is Mpeg-2 and is frame acurate.
Will be good to see if this camcorder will be made for PAL users.
jiri vrozina

Return to posts index

Amos El-RoyRe: So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 3, 2003 at 11:14:39 pm

To the best of my understanding this can not be so by definition as MPEG-2 uses a temporal compression method. The content is compressed by eliminating redundant information due to repetitiveness of most of the image content from one frame to the next, as opposed to other compression methods that simply compress each seperate frame individually much like JPEG does. In other words each frame is based on the previouse and subsequent frames.

This means that editing algorithms would have to be completely different then the once we are currently using for editing NTSC or PAL DV material. If Iunderstand correctly it would not be compatible with the current HD editting systems either. I would be happy to hear if my understanding of this is wrong.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2003 at 11:18:44 pm

http://www.abcdv.com/article/articleview/60/1/1

Return to posts index

mishkaRe: So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 4, 2003 at 12:51:03 am

[Jiri Vrozina] "Sony's SX is Mpeg-2 and is frame acurate. "

From personal experience I'd say "more or less frame accurate". Same for Sony IMX.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2003 at 3:36:01 am

I do not have problems.You MUST have dedicating EDITING LINEAR recorder which will have this feature NOT J machines!!
jiri vrozina

Return to posts index

mishkaRe: So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 4, 2003 at 2:05:17 pm

M2000? I did frame accurate inserts from NLE to this recorder. Still even cheap DVCAM decks do it with more grace. As for SX I once had a hybrid (tape/HDD) that would create an extra frame at the out point of every insert edit. And I mean "create" - there were no such frame either in the source or on the tape it was recording to. As far as I understand it for frame accuracy both Sony MPEG based formats read data from tape into RAM and render GOP's to clips of full video in there. Might sound like a neat technical trick but why to go interframe in the first place? How many broadcast servers are 100% compatible with SX or IMX MPEG data? can you send SX or IMX MPEG data via sat link directly from camcorder?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 5, 2003 at 9:41:05 am

<<<>>>
yes You can-jiri

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2003 at 11:11:25 pm

....also I found this on web:
"""The accessory kit sold separately includes "MPEG Edit Studio® Pro 1.0 LE," an MPEG2-HD editing software package for digital High-definition images. This is the first consumer MPEG2 software to provide frame accurate editing capabilities (more in seperate article). """

Return to posts index

Amos El-RoyRe: So what about Pro-sumer HD cams?
by on Feb 4, 2003 at 3:54:52 pm

Yup, read the article. I am suspecting that is not quite the editing environment I would prefer to work in unless all I wanted to cut is a family video or a simple sequence. I wish I could bring it into premier or FCP.

I wonder if using the down-converter you could edit in DV, then expoer the edit-list and send it out to a post house for a cut and color correction in the native MPEG-2? Question is, do production places work with MPEG-2 at all? And, would the edit-list work well across the formats?

Still if this was possible, it still could be rather expenssive to do and forget about special effects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]