Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PANASONIC AG-DVX:Panasonic AG-DVX ForumPanasonic HVX - HPXPanasonic Varicam

CineGamma

COW Forums : Panasonic AG-DVX100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
hedgehogCineGamma
by on Oct 11, 2003 at 8:38:04 pm

Do the DV camcorders (e.g. AG-DVX100 or JVC GY-DV300U) apply the Cine-Gamma before the DV compression - onto the raw CCD data, or after it?

Return to posts index

John SharafRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 12, 2003 at 6:31:21 pm

Hedgehog,

You should know that any gamma control in video cameras is designed initially to compensate for the characteristics of the CRT that the picture has traditionally been displayed on. By setting the cross over of the chip chart on the 55 ire line (otherwise known as .45 gamma) the grey scale is most accuarately reproduced on your TV set.

Cine gamma is a convention in several cameras and other "film look" settings that essentially crushes or lowers the crossover setting to make the resulting picture (when displayed on your CRT TV set or monitor) more like film; that is less bright in the middle tones.

In direct answer then to your question then, yes the gamma is pre compression and will affect the picture output of the camera as displayed or recorded!

Return to posts index

ICExpoRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 12, 2003 at 8:05:47 pm

Every effect is applied pre-compression. Compression is the very last thing done before the signal is written to tape.

Return to posts index

hedgehogRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 13, 2003 at 8:09:51 am

So, it is more accurate than done in the post-production software (such as After Effects)?

Thanks to all

Return to posts index

sacciRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 14, 2003 at 3:27:36 am

One thing for sure it is a whole lot faster. The Panasonic cine-gamma looks great when lit well. I'm sure someone that is great with color correction can do a better job themselves I think most people that take time to learn and apply in camera setting will find it is the way to go.

Return to posts index

hedgehogRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 14, 2003 at 8:11:16 am

Well, thanks to all.

Best
hedgehog

Return to posts index

Luis de la CerdaRe: CineGamma
by on Oct 14, 2003 at 2:01:17 pm

I find that if I shoot with cinegamma, the resulting image preserves more tonal detail for me to play with in post. The only thing to keep in mind is that highlights reach overexposure much more sharply so it is a good idea to underexpose a little or add a rolloff curve in post to make it smoother, but you still end up with a choice nevertheless. I still have to experiment with gradient filters and tiffen ultra contrast to see if I can better manage this.
Another issue that I brought up earlier is some magenta coloring in highlights when using cinegamma, probably because one of the 3 ccd's is reaching full exposure a stop or two before the others, resulting in magenta highlights (which again can be corrected in post anyway). So if you intend to do some quick editing without any color correction, avoid cinegamma, but if you intend to polish your images in post, cinegamma is an excellent tool :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]