Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Wedding Love Story Questions

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Scott ZinnaWedding Love Story Questions
by on Jul 22, 2003 at 1:17:27 am

I am looking for a good set of questions to ask the bride and groom for a love story. This is my first one. Any advise would be great.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Wedding Love Story Questions
by on Jul 22, 2003 at 5:23:24 am

There's a bit of love story advice in the article by David Chandler-Gick and myself at http://www.creativecow.net/articles/graham_doug/wedding_list/index.html

1. Pick a location with nice scenery, preferably one with some meaning to the couple.
2. Pick a good time of day. An hour or so before sunset usually gives the most flattering light.
3. Get shots of the couple walking, holding hands, kissing, etc. Take low angle shots as well as the more usual eye level shots.
4. Get shots of them playing. Pushing each other on a swing, feeding ducks in a pond, throwing a Frisbee to a little kid, petting a puppy.

You'll use these shots at various times to provide extra visual interest during the interview responses.

I generally ask them both the same set of questions, and edit the responses together in a "he said, she said" fashion. The interview can be at the same location you take the action shots, or can be in a comfortable indoor location. I've often done them at the bride's home.

Some ideas for questions:
-Tell me a bit about yourself -- where you were born, grew up, went to school, etc.
-How did you first meet Jim?
-Describe your first date with Susan.
-When did you first realize Jim was "the one"?
-When did you first tell Susan you loved her?
-Tell me about the first time Jim introduced you to his parents.
-Tell me how you proposed to Susan.
-Tell me about an embarrassing thing that happened while you were with Jim.
-What's the thing you like best about Jim?
-What's the biggest difference between you and Susan?
-Where are you going on your honeymoon?
-What are your plans and dreams for your life together? Where do you see yourselves in five years, ten years, twenty years?
-Pretend Susan is on the other side of this lens. Tell her how you feel about her.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Perry W RichardsonRe: Wedding Love Story Questions
by on Jul 23, 2003 at 2:43:09 am

One other thing, try to interview them separately. The most fun is hearing how differently they remember things and editing it together.

Also, I never give them the questions in advance. I don't want it to sound "rehearsed".

Return to posts index

Scott C.Re: Wedding Love Story Questions
by on Aug 8, 2003 at 2:25:12 pm

Doug really hit it out of the park... His are many of the same questions that I use. In addition to interviewing them seperately, I find that starting out with them both together achieves many things:
1. It gets them warmed up in the security that the other is with them
2. shows their relationship in a dynamic way as they react to each other (Remember it is always better to show than tell.)
3. the repetition helps them to remember details
4. it gives you another option in the editing room

Remember to have your best interpersonal skills with you. Nothing has more of an effect on the way they behave than an interviewer that is relaxed and inspires trust. Use your set up time to engage them in off topic discussion, it is a great opportunity for them to warm up to you before the stress of a rolling camera is added. If you can, always turn off the blinking tally lamp that shows them that the camera is on! While it may help some focus their attention where it belongs, far more people are intimidated by it. If you are concerned with keeping their gaze, place the tripod behind you and shoot over your shoulder instead. When you tape the one on ones, politely ask the other to take a walk or sit beside you.

Have fun

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]