Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Won't stop capturing II, electric boogaloo!!!

COW Forums : Pinnacle CineWave

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave LaRondeRe: Won't stop capturing II, electric boogaloo!!!
by on Oct 25, 2004 at 2:53:42 pm

Hi, Adam...

I don't have a good answer for FCP's Capture Now deficiencies, but I may have a workaround.

I work at an ABC affiliate, and network usually gives us a good bit of black between promos for different shows, and even promos of differing lengths. EG: show A :30 spot with "day of week" tag, "tomorrow" tag, then "day of" tag.... followed by :30 black & :15 slate... then show A :15 spot with the same tags.... you get the picture.

I find that by limiting Capture Now, I can capture what I need, ending the capture during that period of black, and FCP will be ready for the next Capture Now. The magic number for my system seems to be 3 minutes. Instead of one huge 30-minute clip, I end up with a bunch of much shorter clips, usually 1:00 - 1:30 long.

If PBS feeds promos in a similar fashion, you might be able to do the same thing. When you limit Capture Now, FCP has to think a lot less about allocating drive space, and it reacts a LOT faster when you hit that Escape key.

Hey, this ain't the best answer in the world, but until Apple fixes this particular FCP shortcoming, you could start tagging promos a whole lot sooner... and isn't THAT an electrifying prospect?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]