Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MAC OS X:ForumBoot CampApple Home

Re: Outlook problems (long)

COW Forums : Apple OS X

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

bogiesanRe: Outlook problems (long)
by on Jun 20, 2002 at 9:30:13 pm

Cool, guys, I wish you could talk to my IT people. They, of course, will only blame my Macintosh and ask me the old question: "When will you get a real computer?"

If I could explain it here I could probably explain it the IT guys.

Outlook Exchange is an enterprise calendaring and email product from Microsoft. It requires big brass geek balls to run it for 2,000 computers. There is a Macintosh product that is about 80% compatible. It requires an Exchange Server which, of course, is a Windows thingy. In the process of converting the entire company to W2k, many of the old servers are being retired. The Exchange Servers are all migrating to new machines. The instant that happened, there were four mailboxes lost, all of them for Mac users.

The old server was called "Chicago" and did not require a physical IP address, the usual string of numbers. All I did was type in Chicago in the sever filed of the Outlook setup. This is no longer the case. The server has a new name. I can map the IP address to the new server by creating a new profile for the Outlook client on my Mac. I cannot use the name of the server, "Bedford," that cannot be resolved by the Macintosh, for some unknown reason. I can ping Bedford successfully.
However, as soon as I log off or restart the Macintosh, the IP address string of numbers has been replaced with the name Bedford and the client cannot find the server any longer. I must delete the client profile and create a new one each time I want to log on to the Exchange Server.

david

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]