Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: laptop - What's a good all-rounder for media heavy work?

COW Forums : Windows Hardware & Software

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Julie MarzacRe: laptop - What's a good all-rounder for media heavy work?
by on Feb 15, 2005 at 11:30:15 pm

[Bob Kiger] "But I am not sure whether the zd8000 has PC Express? "

From: http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavillion-ZD8000.htm

"the zd8000's motherboard includes PCI Express and a PCI Express(otherwise known as ExpressCard/54) slot on the side. HP has chosen a PCI Express-enabled graphics card, the ATI Radeon Mobility X600 with 256MB of memory "

and from: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1706542,00.asp

"The zd8000 comes with the new ExpressCard/54 PC Card slot—which offers high-speed transfers of 250 Mbps each way—and PCI Express graphics from the 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon X600 card"

Should read 250 MBps not Mbps.

[Bob Kiger] "Both machines are capable of HDV and even better quality HD editing if they are equipped with PC Express bus and a SATA RAID"

As far having as I know there is CURRENTLY no benefit to having a laptop with SATA RAID and/or PCI EXPRESS (Expresscard) as far as HD video editing is concerned. Both HDV and DVCPROHD can be handled on a standard laptop. I'd guess the future compressed HD formats will also work on a a regular laptop as they will likely be low bitrate as well.
PCI EXPRESS (Expresscard) and SATA might eventually enable laptops to work with uncompressed HD but we don't know yet. Future COMPRESSED HD format hardware manufacturers might decide to use PCI EXPRESS (Expresscard) but it won't be because of bandwidth limitations of current technology.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]