Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

"The Blues": Mike Figgis episode annoying!

COW Forums : Cinematography

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Peter DeCrescenzo"The Blues": Mike Figgis episode annoying!
by on Oct 4, 2003 at 4:33:41 pm

PBS broadcast Mike Figgis' episode of "The Blues" series last night (I'm in the SF CA area).

Am I the only camera operator who felt the mostly-awful camera work in this documentary distracted from, and disrespected, its subject matter?

I understand that Mike Figgis is considered by some to be an "artist", but I think the often out-of-focus, overexposed, poorly framed and distractingly-shakey camera work throughout this film is an insult to anyone who considers themselves (or aspires to be) a professional camera operator.

Figgis said in the "making of" interview (which was shown immediately after the doc) that he did some/most? of the camera work himself. The amazing thing is that there was at least one other camera operator shooting, too, and their work is equally bad.

The wierd thing was that whenever the doc cut away to old archival film (obviously shot by someone else many years ago) the simple/basic _QUALITY_ camera work seen in most of those clips stood in sharp contrast to Figgis' junk.

Regardless of the value of the subject matter, it's sad to see poor production values passed-off as "art". What a load of #$@%^&*!

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]