Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
MEDIA 100:Media 100 844/X ForumMedia 100 ForumMedia 100 TutorialsMedia 100

Re: NORMCO still has it...

COW Forums : Media 100 | Media 100 HD

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

lagoonRe: NORMCO still has it...
by on Oct 30, 2004 at 1:36:54 am

[Sean ONeil] "I will try this when I get a chance. I garantee you it won't take 6 hours."

you garantee it won´t take 6 hours?
i garantee it won´t take a single second.

[Sean ONeil] "Let me point out that 10-bit uncompressed gaussian blur (by itself w/o the other streams and filters) give complete RT playback on my box without rendering. A for the multi-strem/multi-filter project you described, the thing with RT extreme is that most of those I wouldn't even have to render until I was ready to master to tape. "

Lol. until master to tape? ok. if you don´t do version, languages, subtitles etc..... IT (international) versions w/o text.... then its no problem to have not to render as everything is RT... until ... maybe, you want to master :)

[Sean ONeil] "Since that (in this case) would take more than 30 minutes anyways, spending an additional 20-30 minutes to render is not a big deal for most people."
Yeah, right, and i never change things _while_ playout, i never have the "stop, hold it, did you see that?" -last second change and to be very precise,....

[Sean ONeil] "Humans generally have to eat lunch at some point, right?"

i always have lunch while mastering. my attitude, surely.

[Sean ONeil] "If I were you, I'd be more concerned with the 30 minutes it takes to make a tape, and be wondering why optical or tape decks with handshake data transferring at speeds faster than real-time are practically non-existent."

Oh? You want to use P2 and XDCAM? We are using these. BTW, do you remember the Sony DSR85 VCR? We have them. Transferring at 4* speed. Via QSDI. the QSDI-Board was $4K. What NLE was able to edit that? P2 transfers not at all. What NLE is able to edit that? XDCAM-proxys are FTR. and what NLE does edit that? read my profile: Xpri.

We are very concerned about the past years :) did you notice that there are wireless, direct-transmission cameras? maybe, multispeed and rt transfer is new to you, but i can assure you, that this old hat isn´t scary to us. Actually, rather the opposite. We an´t wait to see the FC studios going into near-time and live-situation-broadcast environments :)

we don´t go lunching before/while mastering. we master.

[Sean ONeil] "Why isn't there a Digibeta deck with a Firewire800 port that can playback and record at 4x? That would save us a hell of a lot more time than RT gaussian blur would. "
If you want tape, ok. theres is DV at quad. And be assured, i prefer RT 4/4 channel-gaussblur.

[Sean ONeil] "
For you, the 844/x seems like a very good choice. You seem to have one very important client who demands exceptionally fast turnarounds and you need to do the same thing every day."

Avtually its 3-7, depending on the booking situation- And yes, 844/X was the logical choice.

[Sean ONeil] "But for me, I don't need 30 minutes of footage with multiple filters applied every single day. We cut commercials and movie trailers. Our timelines are generally less than 2 minutes. "

I do love to change filters when the customer wants it. In a single day, creative changes till late night. then playout. We do masterfoods (Catsan), car industry (porsche, mercedes, lamborghini) and lotsa other stuff. If my customer wants a change or even an experiment: ok.

[Sean ONeil] "Let me ask you this though. What if you didn't do the same thing every day and the work you did required more flexibility like ours does? What if suddenly you need to work in uncompressed HD?"

We are. BVM20&BVM14 HDMonitors, HDW750&CVF, HDWM2000 VCR, If i can calculate, thats ~$200K

[Sean ONeil] "Or what if a client brought a bunch of DVCProHD tapes from a shoot and you wanted to edit natively in DVCPro codec in order to avoid recompression and wasting 10 times more drive space than necessary?"
We are HDCAM. But if the customer does so, we power up the Powebook and digitize with FCP :) Should be possible ith the iMac as well. 100Mbit (DVCpro HD) = 12.5 MByte. Any sibgle low class disk should do that. But, we are HDCAM, 1080. So this happens rarely.

[Sean ONeil] "Suddenly, that $50k RT hardware becomes totally worthless for those jobs. That's the kind of situation I never want to be in."

Forr this kind of job, we use our Sony Xpri Cobra. Its not 50, rather 110L. Exactly the situation i like being in since 03.

[Sean ONeil] "I just wish Media 100 did what Apple is doing. As someone else mentioned, what Apple did with Motion is the future."
So, good luck in the future. We are still interested in the right here, right now. But maybe, with motion 3,4,5, 2006. 2008, 2010, we will also use it more.

[Sean ONeil] "The rendering power of consumer video cards is phenomenal and Motion taps into that. Have you seen a modern computer game?"
Yes, but until now, i didn´t broadcast it :) What do you think, will that change? are you interested in a live broadcast of my computer games?
Lets get real. Moving images unequal textures. 25 fps data-feed still overloads any graphic pipe besides SGI. But yeah, i do agree, one day it will change, 844/X + DX9 might be nice. And if you want max graphic card powe, my recommendation is pinnackle liquid,

[Sean ONeil] "The problem is that AGP is one-way traffic, so with Motion the RT effects only show up on the computer monitor."
indeed. But you still can render while lunch.

[Sean ONeil] "When AGP is replaced by PCI-E (which is two-way), then things are really going to change. And all we'll have to do is buy some FCP/Motion upgrade licenses and some G6 4.5Ghz Macs (which we'd probably end up doing even if we were still using M100). "
Good idea, i always explain our producers when things will really change. lol.

Sorry, if i was to sharp. But eben if i don´t want to burst your bubble.... some clear worfd elü sometimes.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]