Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: S-Video VS Firewire

COW Forums : Sony DV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael MunkittrickRe: S-Video VS Firewire
by on Mar 22, 2005 at 4:50:02 pm

[Thax] "I don't have to be Michael M. to answer THIS "

Trust me, "being" Michael isn't any further benefit.

[Thax] "I think Michael M's. main point is that the S-Video analog output is not measurably better "

Yes, something along those lines anyway. S-video is, or was a very reliable standard for working with analog video, but that's the maximum of its long-lived value. Digital, in almost any form will provide the cleaner signal provided that you're not doing layer, upon layer of graphics and/or video modification accompanied by repeated compression. Analog video in its rawest form is still the premium means of capture and given the fact that the uncompressed standard has jumped by leaps and bounds with the introduction of 10 and 12 bit color space, but unless the entire chain is truly uncompressed or at a very high production level, the benefits of such a chain of productivity is actually wasted. DV is highly reliable, very functional and extremely consistent which is why it has proliferated so easily. S-video, while still used extensively is not generally thought of as an equal to digital video on the whole, nor is it regularly used as an alternative to DV in most parts of the world. So, in conclusion, DV is DV is DV and by changing DV to anything else you may well do more detriment than benefit to your captures.

Michael Munkittrick
Managing Creative Director
Spiral Design Studios/DieselVFX

Forum COWmunity leader for:
Sony DV
Magic Bullet

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy