Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: dvcam vs. dv, and resolution

COW Forums : Sony DV

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike BisomRe: dvcam vs. dv, and resolution
by on Dec 23, 2003 at 12:51:57 am

My understanding is that DVCam will not produce a higher resloution than mini-DV, both use 4:1:1 sampling with resolution dependant upon the camera. However, there are advatnages to DVCam. First, you have a locked audio/video signal- ever read of people having sync issues with mini-DV? Next, the chance for drop out is less since you are using more tape to basically record the same signal or information. If it helps think of it this way: a VHS tape can record 2 hours in SP or 8 hours in EP. SP looks better because more tape is used to record the same signal. Drop outs on mini-DV could effect your DVD production since the encoder with faithfully try to reproduce an artifact or drop out you don't want. In the end I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If I have a paying client, I am using DVCam. If I am recording my son's BB game- I will use mini-DV!

Just my .02
Mike

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]