Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: What's an Editor?

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

grinnerRe: What's an Editor?
by on Nov 7, 2001 at 8:32:04 pm

I really wasn't directing my original comment toward editors, Erik, but to the directors mentioned in the post before mine.
I can't see how my statement of the ease of cutting a feature is moronic. It comes from experience and is my opinion. I assume EVERY cut is thought through from the get-go. Selecting the best take, making it work with one before and after it, maintaining continuity, are the bare essentials. Adding a motion-tracked 3D element over a composited morph with 6 layers of filters on top present challenges all their own.
Speaking only for myself, after editing many features, documentaries, music videos, trailers, promos, commercials, TV shows and corporate videos, features are by far the easiest. Maybe thats just because I enjoy em so much and we are good at what we love.

What's an Editor? Well, with today's technologies, work flows and expectations, he's not a cuts only kind of guy. Nor is he a media processor awaiting time codes from the producer behind him.
An editor is a creator, an artist who sees the finished product in his head upon seeing the first raw frame of footage. He simply goes along for the ride as the project creates itself through his fingertips and enjoys the surprises that arise not seen in his first vision.
Perhaps thats a whole new discussion... those wonderful surprises.

grin

Posts IndexRead Thread
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]